The $1 Craftsman

jakesmurray

Threads
So I went to a local FFA auction Saturday and picked up this bad boy for a whopping dollar. It has a little 8 hp Tecumseh in it, which I believe is original to the tractor. I also picked up a Yard Machines rear engine rider with no deck. It has a Briggs 10.5 hp I plan on swapping into the Craftsman. It set me back $15. I've attached a picture of both machines. What do you guys think? I plan on removing the deck from the Craftsman and using it as a little utility tractor around my place. It has a 4 speed transmission, which I have yet to test, but it shifts into each gear fine (3 forward, 1 reverse). Feel free to post thoughts/opinions. :cool:

mowers.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: 60s Craftsman Eager-1 Project

I love it.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Springfield. What is the model number? I rebuild old Murray's for fun.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

This is one of my projects. 39004 GT Murray
2014-10-16 16.37.03.gif

jakesmurray

Threads

Springfield. What is the model number? I rebuild old Murray's for fun.

You're kidding me, so am I! I'll get that model number tomorrow, it's got the original riveted tag on the back. I love that old Murray!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

That is amazing. All the people on here and someone from good old Springfield.

jakesmurray

Threads

Yep, who knew...
Keep an eye on this thread, I'll update with pics as I make progress.
I'll get the model number this afternoon.

jakesmurray

Threads

Well I forgot to get the model number today, I'll get it tomorrow. Here is a picture of the engine that will be going in this thing. It runs great until it chokes itself out due to a gas filled crankcase- hopefully replacing the needle and seat and installing an in-line fuel shutoff will solve this problem. Also need to track down an air filter cover, as it didn't have one on it. I'm hoping this will be a fairly easy engine swap. The battery that was in the Craftsman was shot, it was a 10 year old Interstate. The battery in the Yard Machines, however, took a charge, and didn't drop hardly at all on a load test. It's from 4/12, I'm hoping I can squeeze a little more life out of it... stay tuned. :thumbsup:

briggs.jpg

jakesmurray

Threads

Haven't had time to work on this project, but I did get the model number today. It is 536.963631 and made with pure American steel. :cool: