The $1 Craftsman

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: 60s Craftsman Eager-1 Project

Haven't had time to work on this project, but I did get the model number today. It is 536.963631 and made with pure American steel. :cool:

It is a Murray. I though it was. I will see if I can find the Murray model number.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Sorry its an AMF mower.
Sears does not make anything. They have it made with their name on it. First 3 numbers tells you who makes it.
917 is Husqvarna
502 Murray
536 AMF

jakesmurray

Threads

Wow, good to know. Now where does Electrolux come into all of this? I know on today's mowers, you can't tell the decks apart on a Craftsman and a Walmart Weed Eater.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Murray went out of business in 2007 I think. Briggs and Stratton bought them and now they are made by MTD and Husqvarna with Briggs and Stratton engines. Go figure.

jakesmurray

Threads

Yeah I think I was actually thinking of MTD...

So who makes Craftsman tractors today?

jakesmurray

Threads

Got the engine pulled out of the Yard Machines today. Drained the oil (or should I say gas :tongue:). I have a lead on an air filter cover from a guy in Marshfield (Chuck you know where that is). I've attached pics of the Briggs as well as the Tecumseh that's in the tractor now. I've also attached a shot of the model number tags. The registration number is 6100, I wonder if that means this is a '61?

briggs pulled.JPG

tecumseh.JPG

model tags.JPG

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

MTD mostly right now. No way Im buying any of them.

jakesmurray

Threads

MTD mostly right now. No way Im buying any of them.

That's what I was thinking- MTD. There is so much plastic on everything these days it's sad. :thumbdown:

jakesmurray

Threads

Not much of an update, but here goes. I tracked down an air filter cover for the engine, as it was didn't have one on it. I did not know this, but there is a tall and a short version of those covers on these older flat head engines. This 10.5 HP uses the short version. Someone had stuck a tall filter on it, and probably ran it without the cover since it no longer fit with that tall filter. Anyway I tracked down the entire air breather assembly with a filter in it for 5 bucks locally. I also sold the transaxle out of the Yard Machines for $20, so I'm $5 ahead and have the engine, can't beat that. Trying to get rid of the Yard Machines frame now to help further fund this project.