Comparison Differences between HRX217VKA, VLA and HYA?

evident

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone, first post here. I posted on the sister site snowblower forum and now it's spring, haha.

I have a big yard and i want the fastest mower possible. I mulch and never bag. I have a troy bilt w/ briggs engine from 1999 that's chugging along fine but it's just slow, and rusty.

The dealer I just purchased a Honda String Trimmer at had a used HRX217 for $400, but not sure which suffix it was, and I didn't purchase it because i wanted to go home and research..

Looking on the honda comparison website, the only difference I see between those 3 models, HRX217VKA, VLA and HYA are "Infinitely Variable Select drive" and "Cruise Control Hydrostatic transmission". Could someone explain to me what these are, and which one is preferred for my situation? In automotive terms, is one sort of like a CVT, vs the other one a transmission where you shift gears?

The VKA is .4 mph slower, going from 0 - 3.6 mph while the VLA and HYA go to 4 mph. is that .4 really going to make a difference? I'm not sure, but i'm thinking... yes? I have lots of straight aways.

If the dealer's used model is indeed the VKA, is there anything I can modify on the VKA to get it to go as fast as the other two? Maybe a VTEC sticker? :)

Thanks in advance.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
IVT explained.
machinedesign.com/%5Bprimary-term%5D/infinitely-variable-transmission-has-gearing-range-11-speed-automotive-transmission

Cruise Control Hydrostatic transmission Explained
youtube.com/watch?v=YZqfHRfS0wA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZqfHRfS0wA

Long and short of it is one is a CVT and the other is a hydro that allows you to choose what speed you want to go and lock it at that speed.
No way to change the CVT top speed.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
...the only difference I see between those 3 models, HRX217VKA, VLA and HYA are "Infinitely Variable Select drive" and "Cruise Control Hydrostatic transmission". Could someone explain to me what these are, and which one is preferred for my situation? In automotive terms, is one sort of like a CVT, vs the other one a transmission where you shift gears?

The VKA is .4 mph slower, going from 0 - 3.6 mph while the VLA and HYA go to 4 mph. is that .4 really going to make a difference? I'm not sure, but i'm thinking... yes? I have lots of straight aways.

If the dealer's used model is indeed the VKA, is there anything I can modify on the VKA to get it to go as fast as the other two? Maybe a VTEC sticker? :)

Thanks in advance.

VKA = two versions, different controls, same slip-belt style self-propel system. Early models called SmartDrive used a single, grip-style control, while later SelectDrive used a wide "rabbit ears" control, and have a center knob to set the maximum speed.

VLA = Same as VKA but with electric start

HYA = Hydrostatic drive (top-of-the-line) Pull back on the lever, and you allow more hydraulic pressure from a pump to turn a hydraulic motor. Orange lever sets the top speed, similar to center knob on VKA. HYA also has Roto-Stop (blade clutch) so when you let go, blades stop turning, but engine keep running. VLA and VKA models have a traditional flywheel brake, a.k.a., let go and both engine and blades stop together.

I don't think you'd really mow any faster because of the published speeds, but I do think you'd get done quicker with the HYA, as it is a refined and proved design (25 years).

Finally, the HRX came with a 4-year warranty, which can be transferred to a new owner. Ask the dealer (I assume he's a Honda dealer) to look up the serial number on Honda's iN system and see if any warranty remains.