JD 332 starting problem......

rlyjd332

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi to all.....newbie here, hoping that I can get some help resolving my current no-start issue with my trusty JD332 mower (BEST tractor/mower I have ever owned, love it!). My 332 has approximately 1100 hours on it and runs flawlessly....having 6 AC here in NC makes the 332 a good choice as it is used for mowing, pulling project cars around, dragging downed trees and is generally a tough work horse. Problem is that recently, after the tractor has been in use for at least 2 hours or more, it will not start. Depressing the pedals and rotating the key into the normal start mode produces nothing; once it has cooled down, it starts again instantly.

When this first started, seems I could put my finger in the shift slot to depress the safety button an additional 1/8" or so and it seemed to help?? Now nothing I can do seems to help with this no-start mode. I am assuming that the problem lies in the safety interlock system: believe there are three (1) under seat, (2) to LH side of shift-go lever, and (3) in the pedal depress mode somewhere in the pedal linkage. But that is just an assumption and not sure. I also do not understand the intermittent mode of the problem i.e. when hot, fails, cools off and appears to work as intended.

I am hoping that someone out there has experienced the same problem and can help pinpoint the problem; or perhaps someone has a means of eliminating the switches when hot/non-operable for troubleshooting? ANY help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks - will keep you posted on progress, or lack of it.

Bob

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yanmar Diesel engine ? Sound like injectors or the high pressure pump. Then it gets hot you are losing pressure.

rlyjd332

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yanmar Diesel engine ? Sound like injectors or the high pressure pump. Then it gets hot you are losing pressure.

Hi there! Do appreciate your input, and sounds like I am over my head regarding the possibility of HP pump or injectors; believe I might have to pay a visit to my JD dealer and pose the problem and your possibility of issues with pump to them and see what their thoughts might be. Looking for more input from others also, and since it is not a "no function" issue, I just don't shut it off until I am done with the project in hand.

Thanks again for you help - will post reply from dealer once I visit them, hopefully in next few weeks. Bob

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
These are really complicated tractors with quite a complex set of circuits.
The last one I looked at had the entire chamber where the circuit boards sit chock a block with debris.
I cleaned it out , pulled the circuit boads and hit the contacte with some electricl cleaner and it worked beautifully........ for about 5 weeks.
Next I diagnosed a bad lift pump, some $ 600 it wad back on the fields again wih a happy owner, for about another month.
By now he had sunk near a grand into the tractory & I had forked out $ 300 for manuals & service information.
I traced things back to a dud relay so it was back again, for a few hours then it was the same realy.
At this point I gave up, we pushed it into the horse foat for a trip to the JD man.
Turned out to be cooked microprocessors on both main boards, a $ 2000 repair so he traded it.

rlyjd332

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your input regarding my starting problem - again, sounds complex and potentially pricey fix; here I was thinking that it would be an easy diagnosis, replace a failing safety switch and be done with it. Still looking for a method to check out the safety switches when hot, might be needle in haystack! In any event, will look to the dealer guys to see if they have ideas - I really appreciate your input and starting to shudder at the potential $$$'s req'd for the fix. I will, for now, continue to mow w/o shutting motor off, until my task for the day is completed. Thanks again, Bob.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Horses for courses.
It is a good tractor.
If you have respected it , and done full and proper servicing including all lubrication then it will run for 20+ more years no problems
While a $ 2000 repair bill is not "spare change", if it keeps the tractor runnng for another 10 years then it is money well spent.
What do you get for $ 2000 now days?
a bit of temporary diverted land fill / scrap metal that might struggle through what you want it to do for a couple of years.