Honda GCV, GSV, GXV What is the difference?

Scottcc

Threads
I ask this because I own a mower with the GSV 160 and cannot find any information on it while searching the Internet.
I was allowing a family member to borrow the mower last year, while their's broke. Now that I have it back I want to make sure everything is fine. It is the Hrc216pda, I bought it new in 2012. I use it mostly for the areas my rider can't maneuver.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I ask this because I own a mower with the GSV 160 and cannot find any information on it while searching the Internet.
I was allowing a family member to borrow the mower last year, while their's broke. Now that I have it back I want to make sure everything is fine. It is the Hrc216pda, I bought it new in 2012. I use it mostly for the areas my rider can't maneuver.

GCV = Honda's premium residential mower engine. Used in almost all Honda mowers. Has been in production over 20 years, available in 160cc and 190cc versions. Engine block is all-alluminum. The GCV engines use a diagonal split-block design and have both an overhead camshaft (internal timing belt) and overhead valve construction.

GSV = Honda's commercial version of the GCV, the GSV has a cast-iron cylinder sleeve, an extra bearing, 2-stage air cleaner, and a few other minor changes. Honda uses a GSV on some of its commercial-grade mowers, including yours, the HRC216PDA. Same overall design as the GCV, but beefed up in key areas.

GXV = Honda's top-of-the-line commercial engine. It has a cast-iron cylinder sleeve, 2-stage air cleaner, provision for shaft drive, and is of a conventional design with separate cylinder head, engine block, pushrods, timing gear, overhead valve, etc.

If you want complete, illustrated and documented details on both the engine and the rest of the mower, a factory shop manual is the way to go; Honda sells them direct via eBay and Amazon (Free shipping):

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

Scottcc

Threads
Thanks, I found the shop manual for the mower model, I assume the engine will be covered also? I guess the GXV engine would bring the MSRP too high for the PDA model and ther isn't a need for the extra shaft. So, the engineers decided to make a hybrid engine for the PDA using the GCV block and labeling it GSV, thus upgrading it to Honda's commercial standards. It does seem to be an oddball.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, I found the shop manual for the mower model, I assume the engine will be covered also? I guess the GXV engine would bring the MSRP too high for the PDA model and ther isn't a need for the extra shaft. So, the engineers decided to make a hybrid engine for the PDA using the GCV block and labeling it GSV, thus upgrading it to Honda's commercial standards. It does seem to be an oddball.

Yes, the entire mower, including the engine, is fully documented in the shop manual.

Correct on the cost-up to fit a GXV engine to a push-only model.

The GSV was designed primarily to be sold by Honda to other mower companies for use on their mowers. Honda's mower group "buys" the GSV engine too, but in far fewer numbers than the rest of the mower market.

Scottcc

Threads
I just received the shop manual, I didn't know I had the K3 version. Which has the steel piston rings, a fuel strainer instead of a filter, a separate fuel tank from the cover (use the be one piece from looking at the diagram) and a fuel vapor canister in the fuel cap, but it doesn't have adjustable handlebars. I didn't realize how much I missed using the mower when it was loaned out. Getting it back in excellent condition is a big plus.

Scottcc

Threads
Well I'm sort of confused now, the model# is HRC2163PDA indicating it is the K3 series. Yet, the serial# MAJA 102---- indicates it to be a K2 model. The K3 is suppose to start with MAJA 110-----. I believe I have the K3 according to the visible part changes and the serial# break must be in error.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I'm sort of confused now, the model# is HRC2163PDA indicating it is the K3 series. Yet, the serial# MAJA 102---- indicates it to be a K2 model. The K3 is suppose to start with MAJA 110-----. I believe I have the K3 according to the visible part changes and the serial# break must be in error.

From the parts catalog:
26631075126_ddefc6568d_o.png

From our internal Model I.D. Guide for Mowers:
26384618370_3a544d6967_o.png

Scottcc

Threads
Ok I have the MAJA 101---- typo with 102. Your charts explains why I was confused, thanks again.

V-Tran

Forum Newbie
Threads
I contacted Honda corporate about the engine differences because my Honda HRC2163PDA came with a GSV160 engine. It is NOT self-propelled.

According to Honda, The GSV series are considered commercial engines that have a cast iron sleeve and ball bearings; the same displacement at the GXV160, but different design. The GSV160/190 use over head camshafts. On the other hand, the GX series engines use old-school push rods and the camshaft is at the bottom of the engine. The low camshaft is what propels the drive shaft on certain Honda mowers such as the HXA series. That's why self-propelled commercial Honda mowers (such as the HRC2163HXA) have the GXV160 engines.

On "push" mowers, Honda uses the GSV160 engine with an overhead camshaft because they are not self-propelled. Basically, the "GSV" series are beefed up versions of the GCV motors that are commonly found on power equipment sold in retail stores for residential use. I was told that the GSV160 is not an engine that Honda sells and this is why it is not on their Engines website.

I hope this helps.

V-Tran

Forum Newbie
Threads

I contacted Honda corporate about the engine differences because my Honda HRC2163PDA came with a GSV160 engine. It is NOT self-propelled.

According to Honda, The GSV series are considered commercial engines that have a cast iron sleeve and ball bearings; the same displacement at the GXV160, but different design. The GSV160/190 use over head camshafts. On the other hand, the GX series engines use old-school push rods and the camshaft is at the bottom of the engine. The low camshaft is what propels the drive shaft on certain Honda mowers such as the HXA series. That's why self-propelled commercial Honda mowers (such as the HRC2163HXA) have the GXV160 engines.

On "push" mowers, Honda uses the GSV160 engine with an overhead camshaft because they are not self-propelled. Basically, the "GSV" series are beefed up versions of the GCV motors that are commonly found on power equipment sold in retail stores for residential use. I was told that the GSV160 is not an engine that Honda sells and this is why it is not on their Engines website.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: