ignition problems

wetfootwilly

Forum Newbie
Threads
i hv a JD 116....Problem....it will not turn over when key is turned...i put a new solenoid in it last fall but failed to correct problem...i can hotwire it at solenoid and it runs fine....the seat and brake safety both have continuity...I put power to the ignition post at solinoid but nothing happened(i can hear a click though)...I have sanded where solenoid attaches to chassie...the only think I can think of is perhaps I screwed up the new solenoid and now its not working properly? Any advice would be appreciated

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now to get things strait
"hot wire at the solenoid " means bridging the two power wires or bridging the power feed wire and the control wire ?

The stater circuit goes from the starter switch to the PTP switch to the brake/clutch switch then to the solenoid control terminal through the solenoid to earth.
Thr solenoild earth might be the body of the solenoid ( 3 pole ) or via a terminal which might go through a relaay or two before grounding out.
Remember a relay just makes a circuit it can just as well make an earth circuit as it can a power circuit and JD love relays.

wetfootwilly

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have hot wired it directly on the starter as well as on the terminal on the solenoid that goes to the starter....I have tried putting power to the ignition terminal on the solenoid to see it I could get it to work but nothing happened.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If running a wire from the battery wire to the control wire on the solenoid does not make the solenoid fire then it is cactus.

wetfootwilly

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks alot....i kinda figured so but wasn't sure if i was missing something....didn't want to purchase solenoid..lol...thankyou for ur help...i will post my progress

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a 3 wire solenoid that sits on the floor of the mower they do get a lot of corrosion and thus a bad earth.
You can try running a wire from the = battery terminal to the case of the solenoid then try to energise it.
Last ditch effort but it will not hurt.
Over the years solenoids have not increased in price and the quality has gone to the dogs

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
On a 3 wire solenoid that sits on the floor of the mower they do get a lot of corrosion and thus a bad earth.
You can try running a wire from the = battery terminal to the case of the solenoid then try to energise it.
Last ditch effort but it will not hurt.
Over the years solenoids have not increased in price and the quality has gone to the dogs

First thing I do when working on a mower with 3 pronged solenoid is change it to 4 pronged and add negative (earth) wire to battery. I normally have 3 or more sitting in my garage just for that reason.

wetfootwilly

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok thanks guys for your time...I have connected the neg from battery (4 post solenoid) to ground post on solenoid....battery positive to ignition post on solenoid...when power if applied I hear a click....tested for power on outgoing solenoid post to starter - no power...so I guess even though it sounds like its activating and working... its not. Thanks again for advice....

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
wetfoot, these guys know their stuff, but if you have a dvm look to make sure you got 12V, good sound connections, and check resistance to ground where you can. clicking always reminds me of a low or almost dead battery on a car.