2010 JD Z930A Transmission Leaking Badly

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey Jakes, been years since we last communicated, I think you were into racing mowers back then, and I needed info on my Murray mower, now you're into newer machines ??

tlj692003

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I decided to wing it and just Dive in. Once you get the wheel off it’s apparent what to do and everything is fairly easy to get to. This is the order I went.Drain hydraulic fluid, remove the drive belt off the transmission pulley, loosen hose clamp at the hydraulic reservoir, remove both steel hydraulic lines, unhook the 2 linkages, place a jack under transmission remove 9 mounting bolts and lower it down while you wiggle back an forth to get the hose off the hydraulic reservoir. Once it’s out remove the pulley nut and pull the fan blade off and then use a jaw puller to remove the pulley. I used a 2 jaw and it worked great. Then just simply pop out the old plug and tap in the new improved plug John Deere part number MIU14382 $6.80. Then reassemble in reverse and refill the hydraulic reservoir. I changed both filters so it took 5 qts. to fill it up. It took me about 3 hours from start to finish including test drives and shop clean up. Pretty simple job with the use of just common tools and a 2 jaw puller.

SWood

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the thread and the part numbers. Just jerked out both transaxels in my 930r and found the same problem.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Nice of you fella's to share your info, I'm sure there will be some very thankful members out there ! .. :thumbsup:..:thumbsup:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
SHOULD BE POSTED in TRANSMISSINS & TRANSAXLES

Nice of you fella's to share your info, I'm sure there will be some very thankful members out there ! .. :thumbsup:..:thumbsup:

THIS should be posted in the "Transmissions & Transaxles" Forum !

bigshow

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m curious how you guys removed the cracked plug?

I went ahead and cut out the center and was able to pop it out from the inside with a screwdriver. I was very careful to not score the inside.

Last edited:

rayzorback

Forum Newbie
Threads
I used a wood chisel under the edge of the cap and twisted.
Came right off.

Whole process was relatively easy.

Saved myself over $300 in labor fees :)

jakesmurray

Threads
Hey Jakes, been years since we last communicated, I think you were into racing mowers back then, and I needed info on my Murray mower, now you're into newer machines ??

Hey how's it going? This shows how often I check this forum these days. :rolleyes: I'm doing very well, but a lot has changed. I don't even own a mower at the moment, as I live in an apartment. I finished up school and have a full time job, so that doesn't leave me much time to tinker with mowers. I'm hoping one day to get back to it. :thumbsup:

jakesmurray

Threads
I'm so glad to see this thread still helping people. :thumbsup: I remember back to when I did this a few years ago now, I was able to help the lady out, and I learned a great deal in the process. It was a win-win.

PMD

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just discovered a leak in the exact same area on my 960A. I'm guessing it's the same issue. Is there any way to get at that plug without pulling the transmission??