Should we kill bees?

Greenblades

Threads
I know sometimes they can be a scary nuisance, but with all the news of the bee shortage and the devastation on crops that cause, should we take extra care not to kill bees when we're busy exterminating other pests and weeds?

rekees

Threads
Live and let live except for wasps. Kill them on sight!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Live and let live except for wasps. Kill them on sight!

Actually wasps are kind of handy and not at all aggressive... Now Hornets they are always ready to attack. . . :frown::frown::mad: KennyV

noma

Threads
Hi

Yes i'm for saving the bees, they are very helpfully to use.

mystreba

Threads
Yes, it's very important to avoid killing bees unless they are nesting in a way the presents a danger to your family. This is why most pesticides have warnings about application on plants that attract bees. One year I sprayed my flowering apple and cherry trees to kill the tent caterpillars. I didn't follow the manufacturer's recommendation about bees, which warned against applying while the tree was flowering. It took two years for the tree to fully recover and bloom as it had before.

cren

Threads
Ours are trying to nest, we have carpenter bees in the front of the house (the porch has wooden beams that they love). We have had to hang up two bug zapper lights so far.

Zeroturn

Threads
We had a bee problem last year. They were in the house and everywhere. We had to have them killed. They were stinging us! They were Yellow jackets. We also have honey bees and no one will touch them!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
To Bee or not to Bee...:wink:
I know I like bees and wasps ... but NOT hornets :mad: KennyV

Stevie-Ray

Threads
A hornet is a wasp, as is a yellow jacket. Actually their coloring (European Hornet and Yellow Jacket) is fairly close to the same. Yellow jackets are a bit fatter looking and smaller, about the size of a honey bee, which is why most people don't think they're wasps and wrongly think they're bees. A European Hornet has the same coloring but are quite a bit larger, and wasp-waisted, and their sting hurts like hell, trust me. Kill on sight.

Janie

Threads
I totally agree Stevie-Ray and Kenny V. Wasps are horrible insects. Yellow jackets will also make nests in the ground and come out if you step on their nest and attack you. If you are allergic they can kill you doing this. Even if you aren't they can inject enough venom to cause you to have to go to the emergency room. I hate WASPS! They are horrible insects and have nothing good to do as far as I'm concerned. Honey bees on the other hand are fairly benign unless they are attacked.