Honda HR214 electric start battery

Ejd148

Threads
I just acquired a Honda hr214 SMA with electric start. I certainly don't need the electric start because it starts so easily with the pull cord but I want to get it working. I don't have the charger and assume the battery won't charge seeing that it's from the late 80's. I found a few places that sell stock replacements (which are pricey) but I was wondering if anyone knows of another battery that would work?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
best thing you can get is a CYCLON pack.
These are individual 2V cells that do not self discharge over time and are capable of very high discharge & recharge rates.
You should see a lot of them on the used market as they are standard fitment in all portable gear used in airports and it is manditory ( down here any way ) to replace thes batteries at set hours which are about 1/3 way through the life span.
Otherwise google them .
They sell them prewired in packs for 6V 12V 18V 24V 32V & 50V

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads

+1 for the Cyclon battery. They are brilliant quality and quite durable. Honda used a Cyclon battery on the first-gen electric start HRX mower, and would easily get 200+ starts out of a single charge. They are impressive, but not inexpensive. ($90 for a new one) :frown:

ChuckD

Forum Newbie
Threads
These are individual 2V cells that do not self discharge over time and are capable of very high discharge & recharge rates.
You should see a lot of them on the used market as they are standard fitment in all portable gear used in airports and it is manditory ( down here any way ) to replace thes batteries at set hours which are about 1/3 way through the life span.
Otherwise google them .
They sell them prewired in packs for 6V 12V 18V 24V 32V & 50V

i like the idea of the cyclone pack but the ones i found are that are the 12 volts that came in the hrx models will not fit in the battery location on my hr 214. They are much longer.. They are a different size battery all around.. has anyone modified their older mower to fit one of these batteries?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They make individual cells in every size that you can get a dry cell battery and a lot more.
No matter which one you buy they will be a series of 2V cells wired together
so it is a matter of going to a retailer who sells them with the battery holder from your mower and finding a way to fit 6 cells in it.
They can be used upside down, sideways longways , makes no diifference and you can even mix different ones together.
The 12 V packs are simply 6 cells wired together in a plastic holder normally 3 x 2 like the 6 on a dice,'
No reason why you can not do a different configuration,
Most come with a choice of solder tabs, screw on terminals and push on terminals.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Batteries Plus has them in shop here.

jp1961

Threads
Any hobby shop sells batteries that are used to start model airplane engines for 20-25 bucks. They are 12v. I have one on my Lawn-boy 8481AE and it works. Tower Hobbies sells them online if you don't happen to live by a hobby shop. Hobbico is the manufacturer.

Jeff

Last edited:

ChuckD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Nice, great info guys. Thats exactly what i was looking for.. I will look into this further...:thumbsup: