Kohler 7000 smart choke issue.

BigRed150

Threads
I have about 30 hrs on my Kohler. After cutting a yard I drop it to low speed to cool down on the trailer while I lock it down about 30 seconds or so. When I fire it back up at the next yard it gets stuck In choke mode. I can raise the throttle and it still says in choke mode. It also puffs out the excess gas. I have to take of the breather and tap the butterfly to get it out of choke. Any idea what's causing this.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take your mower to your dealer, There is a service bulletin addressing your problem with sticking choke, Your unit should still be under warranty so let them repair it at their expense.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
For the stubborn , curious among us ...What is so "smart" about the choke? Is it somehow a hybrid carb engine , but with a "fancy" thermoswitch-controlled injector- like fuel injection systems? Pro's please throw us pearls of your wisdom and experience. Or a separate "old school" secondary butterfly- controlled by bi-metallic spring which is not working properly?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Motoman, from what I read on it, it is a combination air vane opening system, in combination with a bimetal thermostat system. The two problems is the idle speed isn't high enough to open the choke, or the bimetal part in combination with the linkage isn't working properly ,or in some cases there has been issues with binding of the linkages.

ingigo

Threads
Can you adjust the choke manually at all? The newer Kohlers run VERY lean, so the choke is touchy. I have a choke adjustment, and I can pull it out for more, which I always have to do. My advice is to keep air filter clean and the fuel filter clean, set fuel sector to RESERVE, NOT PRIMARY. The other piece of advice ONLY draws from shutting down an AIRCRAFT engine. Apply choke to shut off the engines. Do this at your own risk, but it has helped me for traveling to mow. Just let every fluid settle before you light the fires. I do not know if you drive on hills and/or steep grades, but that unbalances the fluids a lot if things are still warm. Kohler6000 and 7000 engines will only handle 25 degree angles at best before needing some sit-down time is need. hope your situation improves.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This Smart Choke, Auto Choke, etc. systems do not have any adjustments. As IL said Kohler has a service bulletin, Toro has a linkage binding bulletin and B&S has a bulletin for setting the air vane. Once you understand how each system works, some minor tweaking can be made, but most are covered by warranty so why try.

BigRed150

Threads
Take your mower to your dealer, There is a service bulletin addressing your problem with sticking choke, Your unit should still be under warranty so let them repair it at their expense.

Do you have Link to the bulletin. Apparently this is the first my dealer has heard of it and is clueless.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you have Link to the bulletin. Apparently this is the first my dealer has heard of it and is clueless.

Tell your dealer to log into Kohlerplus, and go to documents and then search for SB-337 covers smart choke for the KT engines.

DJ660

Threads
could remove blower housing and make sure air vane isn't making contact with anything, I've seen the vane contact the coil kill wire already.