How to disconnect RIO on a John Deere x320

JohnDeere-x320-48in

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tired of engaging RIO everytime I want to move in reverse. Is there a way I can disconnect RIO? My mower is a x320 2011 model 48in deck. Please help me figure this out.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

mullins87

Threads
Well, I would suggest you leave it alone at least until the warranty expires. I don't like that button either, but I haven't had mine apart to see how it plugs in. I'm assuming the switch is just a simple two wire setup. You can try unplugging the switch, engage the blade and see what happens. If it dies when you back up, then just put a short jumper wire from one terminal to the other.

daddy3

Threads
i suggest the same as mullins

kfabry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: How to disconnect RIO on a John Deere x340

I have just recently found the switch that disconnects the electric clutch on my 2007 X340. It is located in a hidden spot, under the foot rest (running board) on the right side. It is about 6 inches to the rear of the forward/reverse pedals. You will need a 10mm open end wrench to get at the bolt head. Remove the bolt and securely affix the switch with a tie-wrap to the frame.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I will add a "me too" to the first 2 replies, live with it till warranty is out.
When that is over get the mower up nice & high and you will find a little white plunger switch that activates when the mower is put into reverse.
Usually they are normally open ( closes when plunger is depressed ) , if so pull the plug off & tape it over .
Stick a bit of tape under the hood with a message to remind you to reconnect it when you sell it or you will leave yourself open to legal action should a latter owner come to grief.

OTOH if the switch is normally closed, then get a pair of spade terminals, make a small jumper to bridge the plug then tape over as previously suggested.

Be careful to make sure it is the correct switch, there are 3 small switches under the mower and the wrong one disconnected will give you real grief.
With JD I always suggest you get your hands on the JD Technical Manual they are worth 10 times what JD asks for them & will pay for themselves in hard cash or hours of your time the first time you use it.
In the electrical section they show you exactly where each & every switch is, how it is wired in a schematic and where the lug is that connects it to the wiring.

Should you sell the mower 2nd hand including the technical manual will nearly double the sale price.
I found this out by accident so now buy a tech manual for every JD I sell which always go within the first week and I get $ 300 to $ 500 more for the mower than the general used price.