Repairs John Deere 68 brake

PyhooyaBooya

Threads
Had a jd68 given to me a couple weeks ago. Owner said if I could make it run that I could have it. Of course I took it as a challenge. Had it running in the next couple of hours. Spark plug, fuel line, the basics. The deck was badly bent and so was the blade. Took a couple of us to make the deck straight again and the blade got a taste of the truck clamp. Needless to say it runs and cuts. Only thing...there are no brakes! I can push the brake lever and see it move the rod all the way back, but I don't know what is behind that rod. The serial # is 3xxx (I think that matters in this case). I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas of a fix or a good place to find a diagram or anything?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Only thing...there are no brakes! I can push the brake lever and see it move the rod all the way back, but I don't know what is behind that rod. The serial # is 3xxx (I think that matters in this case). I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas of a fix or a good place to find a diagram or anything?

To work on the brake you will have to remove the gas tank. The brake is located on the side of the transmission and the rod goes from the brake petal to the brake caliper. To tighten the brake adjustment you turn in a set screw located on top of the brake caliper with a 5/64th allen wrench.