Repairs MTD - Yard Machines slips out of gear

ITSANSS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just bought a used MTD - Yard Machines this past week. It's, I believe, a 42" cut and it's a somewhat newer machine. Seems like I saw 2007 underneath the seat.

Anyhow, I don't know the history on this mower whatsoever. Aesthetically, it looks like it has been very well maintained. The person I bought it from I know personally and I never did ask where he got it, but knowing him, it was more than likely an auction or a garage sale. He has a couple dozen riding mowers and dozens and dozens of push mowers. lol

Anyhow, I went straight to mowing with it as soon as I got it and it did just fine for an hour and a half or so and then on a pass going uphill, the machine started to slow down and after a minute or so it actually came to a stop. I pushed in the clutch/brake and put the transmission in reverse and it went, then back to forward and it went. This happened several times over the course of four hours of straight mowing, only stopping a couple of times for more fuel.

I got all of my field mowed and stopped a minute to look it all over as this was the first time I'd ever mowed it since I bought it January of this year. Looked good! Then I started to mow around my trailer house and once I got situated, kicked the mower on (the PTO), I let off the clutch to get after it with the little daylight I had left and it wouldn't go. Went to reverse and forward a couple times but it didn't want to go. I could hear it wanting to go, but it wouldn't. After I just let it spin a minute or so then it grabbed and took off, but I barely got it back to my shop and I wound up having to push it inside.

I should note that it only "slipped out of gear" only on a slight incline and not ever going downhill or on flat ground. That is until the end of the evening after it had gone and gone and gone and that was on flat ground when it quit.

Also, I should mention that it's drivable now. I didn't go but about ten feet with it, but I am almost certain that it's the belt and that the other night it just got so hot and stretched out that it had expanded and would grab the pulleys. I did notice that the belt has a bunch of weather cracks in it, so it's more than likely due for a change anyhow.

So, after a little research, I think that the drive belt has stretched and it slipping.

1.) Does it sound like it's a belt problem to ya'll?

2.) How hard is it to change this particular belt? It looks like it's directly underneath the seat. Also, it looks like the seat and the whole part of where your feet go can come off somewhat easily and get to the belt(s) from the top. Is this so?

3.) Is there a .pdf file or some such that I can look at a manual for this mower?

Thanks, ya'll!!!

Last edited:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
it may be a varidrive tranny...which uses pulleys and belts to change speeds...under your battery you can see it all....try this,..PDF Manual Web Archive

ITSANSS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply and thanks very much for the link to the manual. I'll have to get my model and serial numbers out and check it out.

Sorry for not updating this thread, but I've since got it repaired.

There are two rubber drive belts underneath the seat/battery and I discovered that both of those looked to be in very bad shape. I replaced those for about $50 total and it fixed her right up.

I'm in the process now of changing out the blades. The mower cut grass well enough, but it would get choked down easily it seemed like and it didn't eject the cut grass out of the chute like it should. I put the front wheels up on stands and got a good look underneath at the blades and they're chewed to bits. lol! I have no idea how it was cutting it all, 'cause both blades are nearly just nubs and barely resemble cutting blades whatsoever. Hahaha

I got one blade off the other day with great difficulty. Reckon it's been on there quite a while. The other blade I can't even get off. I just got back from my shop and I super soaked it with penetrating/lubricating oil I just bought and one of these days I'll borrow my dad's (don't have my own yet :frown: ) air compressor and impact wrench. I think an impact is gonna' be the only way to get this sucker off. Hopefully that penetrating oil does some good and I also hope that the penetrating oil does some good for that mower blade HA! :wink: :biggrin:

Luckily enough, I don't need the mower right away and I've only had to mow the yard (approximately three acres) twice this year. Southwest Oklahoma has gotten, total, only a few inches of rain this year and that was in one day a couple months ago. This is also day 32 of over 100 degree days. In other words, the grass and weeds ain't growin' at all. lol

Thanks again

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
glad to hear you found the issue!:thumbsup:...its amazing what a little wear on a belt can do to performance!....are you using a wood block to hold the blade when untighten the blade bolt?.....if the grass is long ..its best to cut in stages.......its starting to turn yellow here finally...but we dont have rain problems up here!:laughing:..farewell!:wink:

ITSANSS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the wood block tip!

After letting the bolt sit with the penetrating oil soaked on it for about a day and using a 12" long 4" x 4" wood block as a stop the bolt finally broke lose. Still had to use a cheater-bar and a good amount of force, but it finally went "POP!!!", and came off.

I took the better of the two blades to a lawn mower parts/automotive paint shop place here and they laughed when I handed them the blade. As I said before, it barely resembled a lawn mower blade. I wound up having to tell them the mower brand and deck size for them to get me the blades I needed. There wasn't enough left of the old blade to determine what is used to be. Hahaha

Now sporting some new blades although I won't need to mow for quite some time. lol

Thanks again!

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
good news!...id keep the blade as a souvenir and put it on your garage wall!:laughing:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
got a new out of the box push mower in the shop a few years back that wouldn't start. The manufacturer didn't put any holes in the muffler so the exhaust good get out. Tell everybody that sees the muffler iit s designed to meet 2014 emission standards

ITSANSS

Forum Newbie
Threads
got a new out of the box push mower in the shop a few years back that wouldn't start. The manufacturer didn't put any holes in the muffler so the exhaust good get out. Tell everybody that sees the muffler iit s designed to meet 2014 emission standards

lmao! That's awesome! :biggrin:

Yeah, you could tell people it's the new California model push mower. :laughing:

Thanks for sharing that, man, needed it.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
gotta love it!:biggrin:

bnc

Forum Newbie
Threads
something else to look for when this slipping problem happens-
(I've got 2,one is a 1992 MTD 16.5HP 42" cut & another is Lowe's 1994 Yard Machine 14HP-otherwise they're exactly the same
the rear end plate (frame) broke right above the rear axle letting the main spring torque it forward just enough (about 1/8") to cause the slippage going on ANY incline.

not sure what I hit or just age & stress but before going nuts buying belts & relacing or sanding the VTP look from the rear & see if the frame is cracked or broke. this also seems to be a problem w/ several older models.

after that there's the 3 front transmounting bolts that can allow the trans-axle to tilt forward under torque but usually completely throws the real belt- that seems to be a common problem.

happy hunting.