hydrostatic transmission draining oil

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting subject. I have only seen the inside of a hydrostatic on youtube. But what with the slow inherent wind blast or fan aided cooling it would seem there is some factory concern about heat. So the question: Heat vs additive depleltion in the original oil or heat vs the transmission housing? Or both. My impression is that the hydrostatic is nowhere the complexity of a car auto transmission. We know they should be serviced regularly, including filter. Enthusiast car buffs change out manual transmission oil regularly though not specified by factory. I have run several manual car 5 speeds 100K with no changeout, Others seemed to benefit from changes where synchro rings needed help for smoother shifting. I feel my own Craftsman DYT 4000 is slipping a little when cold. Please respond, knowledgeable forum people!

My_guy99

Threads
I asked this question a few years ago on hear and everyone yelled at me!

(Giggles)

I don't like the non serviceable label and couldn't let that ride, found out it was made by tuff torq and called asked them about it and he 110% agree to replace the oil asap! I told him what model I had and she sent me info about the Trans and that there another pan u can buy to make it serviceable or just tap the original pan!

This is just my opinion of course!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree with you it should be changed as per TuffTurq. And at regular intervals. I was just looking for a manual and could not find one.

You have a Tuffturq rear end.
Oli is 20w50 engine oil.

My_guy99

Threads
I agree with you it should be changed as per TuffTurq. And at regular intervals. I was just looking for a manual and could not find one. You have a Tuffturq rear end. Oli is 20w50 engine oil.

The manual for my mower says non-serviceable though! That didn't fit me or make me satisfied:(

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
My mower manual said the same thing. Tufftorq manual said different.

My_guy99

Threads
My mower manual said the same thing. Tufftorq manual said different.

Wish I could find the old thread, the guys on here were calling me stupid and I didn't know what I was doing so leave it along... Whatever... I just left this site for a few years now I'm back

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I made contact with Kubota few months back , they said you can drop the pan and drain oil that way. But use extreme caution so that nothing falls out of place. They said it does have a replaceable filter inside. I didn't mention pumping the oil out to them at that time.

either it is or isn't serviceable?? I have been in the repair trade gone enough to know if they say non-serviceable leave it alone. But do whatever makes you feel good because you are asking for problems. Trust Kubota because they designed it that way and they know what they are talking about.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
either it is or isn't serviceable?? I have been in the repair trade gone enough to know if they say non-serviceable leave it alone. But do whatever makes you feel good because you are asking for problems. Trust Kubota because they designed it that way and they know what they are talking about.

Kubota did not design Tufftorq rear end. They purchased it. They call it non serviceable in the mower manual. Tufftorq does not call any of their stuff non serviceable. Some they call sealed and not necessary to change oil unless it get contaminated. Well how do you know if its contaminated if you don't look.

ingigo

Threads
Easy comparison for the transaxle is it is like a sealed bearing. Only much more complicated. I have taken sealed bearings apart and put them back together with failure and success, but they are not the price or complexity of a hydrostatic transmission. I agree to let the transmission guys do it. Like with automobiles, a transmission is usually sent to a place that just works on transmissions. Just my one cent, for I that is all $ I have. Good luck!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
there is nothing made by man that I can not take apart and make work again, for a while any way.:confused2:
However most times it is just not economic to do so.
Big problem with hydros is the requirement for a surgically clean assembly room which most workshops, mine included do not have.
Most run filters that are in the 10 to 20 micron range.
the dust floating in through the screens on your windows that you can not see is anything up to 250 microns.
the dust coming off a paper shop towel is around 100 micron.
Talk to some spray painters who do top end show work if you want to know about how to beat dust.

Thus in most cases splitting a lot of hydros will long term do more harm than good.
This is why they call it unserviceable.

Pull it down if you like but don't be suprided ig you only get a short life out of the repair.
OTOH if it don't work now you have nothing to loose.