Keep OLD FWD Craftsman or get a NEW AWD craftsman or a NEW AWD Husqvarna?

PUSH

Threads
  • / Keep OLD FWD Craftsman or get a NEW AWD craftsman or a NEW AWD Husqvarna?
So I was ready to Trash my 2009 Craftsman FWD B&S 5.50 158cc but thanks to this place I fixed it almost like new now for about $40 bucks or so. and gained confindence and knowlege of DIY along the way.

but in my parts travels around town this spring . I found 2 really tempting replacements:

2015 Craftsman 917.370890
- AWD
- B&S 7.25 190cc for $319 ( was $499) closeout flor model.. only one..
- 34.5" long - doesn't fit in my current storage space..but POWER ! I love the power..
- 92lbs

spin_prod_949568112.jpg

or

2015 Husqvarna LC221A
- AWD
- B&S 6.25 150CC for $299 (was $339)
- 31" long fits in my current storage space same as my old model
- 85 lbs

961-45-00-26_62478_600.jpg

or

keep the current mower:

2009 Craftsman FWD 917.375610 $125 value?
- B&S 5.50 158cc
- new 550 paracord pull cord , 22" blade , blade shaft adapter , carb diaphragm, new spark plug , new drive belt ,new oil
- 30.5" long
- about 60lbs

spin_prod_219283301.jpg

AWD or RWD would really make it much easier to mow...
I have a very very small yard - 25 min to mow with a steep hill in the front that the 5.50 can barely help get up at all..

so KEEP the old rig or just go for the new one and sell the old refreshed one?

what would you do?

PUsh

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just for you own knowledge. 917 in the model number of Craftsman means it is a Husqvarna.

PUSH

Threads
Just for you own knowledge. 917 in the model number of Craftsman means it is a Husqvarna.

THANKS - I knew that they outsourced to Husqvarna, I just never knew how you could tell which was which.
so company makes the 247 model number?

HughDaHand

Threads
THANKS - I knew that they outsourced to Husqvarna, I just never knew how you could tell which was which.

247 models are made by MTD.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

MTD

PUSH

Threads

Thanks

I was leaning towards the AWD craftsman but after some research on it.. found some possible overheating issues not really sure how true that is?.
But I hate the tipping the entire mower to change the oil design.

I think I might just Save the $300+ for a new grill and stay with my little 550
looks pretty good for 7 yrs old ,it's simple, no frills and it works now. as long as I can get the FWD to pull better...
DSCN5499-1.jpg

PUsh

primerbulb120

Threads
If the tread is worn off your front wheels, you might try replacing them. It will pull better if they have plenty of tread. You can buy new ones on eBay, search for "Craftsman Front Drive Wheel 532403111, Set of 2 194231x427".

I think keeping the mower you've got is a good idea. The engine you have is a good one, and with proper care it should last a long time.
Briggs and Stratton recently redesigned all their push mower engines, and as of yet they haven't got all the bugs worked out of the new design. If you still want a new push mower, find one with a Honda or Kohler engine. I would recommend a Honda mower. Or wait a few more years and then get a Briggs and Stratton.

PUSH

Threads
If the tread is worn off your front wheels, you might try replacing them. It will pull better if they have plenty of tread. You can buy new ones on eBay, search for "Craftsman Front Drive Wheel 532403111, Set of 2 194231x427".

I think keeping the mower you've got is a good idea. The engine you have is a good one, and with proper care it should last a long time.
Briggs and Stratton recently redesigned all their push mower engines, and as of yet they haven't got all the bugs worked out of the new design. If you still want a new push mower, find one with a Honda or Kohler engine. I would recommend a Honda mower. Or wait a few more years and then get a Briggs and Stratton.

Thanks - the wheels are worn and in need of a refresher - but it's the drive pulley that's my issue right now. I bought a new belt and have yet to put it on as it feels like 18 degrees right now..
I changed the shaft adapter and Im not sure I put it back the right way or the fit of the new adapter and old belt are just not working..
New parts usually never work with the old. So ill take it apart - new belt and new shaft and see how it pulls .. the last attempt it .would even move it's self on concrete but prior to the new shaft adapter it did..

the ebay search set of 2 is perfect
and thanks for the info about the New B&S engines.

PUsh

PUSH

Threads

ok -in between the 18 degree spring days of late here in the Northeast

I had a 40 degree heat wave to fit the new Belt on as well as a new Blade. Now the FWD is working as is should or was. it pulls the mower fairly well now.
I reinspected the tires: they are worn but still some tread on them. I might just see how she runs once spring and the grass returns then decide if new tires are in order. other than that
I have decide to KEEP it.
I think I've done everything I can do to revitalize this little mower. I might do a mid season oil change just to see if she is burning oil as it sure smells like it too me.

Grand total
$68.39
that's as much as I paid for it New in 2009.

front tires:
IMG_3202.JPG
IMG_3203.JPG
side view in the engine bay
IMG_3199.JPG

PUsh

PUSH

Threads
UPDATE: 1 year later
So glad I saved this mower with all the advice and help here
In July 2016
- I refreshed the paint and blacked out the mower
-Bought new front wheels for it $15
-fixed the Front wheel wobble by bolting through it

Still running strong but I found 2 Curb mowers this season both run
The TORO 200041 was a find and a half and is going to replace this one - its just superior especially the RWD.

Thanks again for all the help - its given me the confidence to easily fix the curb finds that others just discard
I was about to do the same thing until i found this place.

PUSH
IMG_6532.jpgIMG_6536.jpgIMG_6546.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg