Hydro Gear EZT 2200 Rebuild

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
From the pictures it looks like they are grooved deep enough to have fingernail catches in them. I may be wrong. If you go from inside to outside between the holes, and scrap you fingernail across them does it feel rough.

nccole

Threads
From the pictures it looks like they are grooved deep enough to have fingernail catches in them. I may be wrong. If you go from inside to outside between the holes, and scrap you fingernail across them does it feel rough.

I will have to check later tonight. I am not at home, just posting pictures from my phone. Also waiting to hear back from Hydro Gear. That unit has less than 100 hours on it, but I was two months out of warranty from Husqvarna. I am not sure how their warranty department treats things, maybe they will take care of me.

nccole

Threads
The Motor block is shot. The pump block feels smooth, may buy a new one just to have all new critical parts. I have not ordered anything yet, because one of the online stores replaced my 70864L Center Section Kit with a 71529 kit. I didn't notice at first but then read in small print that the 71529 is a direct replacement. I called that company and they weren't much help just reading to me what their computer said. I called Hydro Gear, and he said currently he shows the 70864L as the one to get. I found another site selling parts, and they list the two center sections as available, but they are $34 different. If the 71529 is a replacement and improved version, then I want that one. Not to mention it is cheaper.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My hydrogear dealer parts lookup shows the 71529 superceding to 70864L so either one should be usable. my parts distributor shows the 71529 in stock but not the 70864L so who ever you tried to order from probably has the same issues.

nccole

Threads
My hydrogear dealer parts lookup shows the 71529 superceding to 70864L so either one should be usable. my parts distributor shows the 71529 in stock but not the 70864L so who ever you tried to order from probably has the same issues.

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. I will get my order in now.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Found the part# 71529 for $87.39
smallenginesprodealer.com/hydrogear/oem/active/71529-part-71529-hydrogear-original-oem/

nccole

Threads
Found the part# 71529 for $87.39
smallenginesprodealer.com/hydrogear/oem/active/71529-part-71529-hydrogear-original-oem/
That's where I got all my parts. I got two pump blocks and some other misc things also. I'm new here, but another forum I frequent is funny about posting links to buy things, so I was hesitant to discuss that. Appreciate the tip though.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That's where I got all my parts. I got two pump blocks and some other misc things also. I'm new here, but another forum I frequent is funny about posting links to buy things, so I was hesitant to discuss that. Appreciate the tip though.

Posting links to sites seems to OK here as long as you are not advertising for your own business without being a paying advertiser. I have been on sites that if you post a link to somebody that isn't an advertiser the moderators will delete your post.

nccole

Threads
After having parts back ordered and then more parts back ordered I finally went to another distributor and got my parts. I put it back together and the rebuilt transmission was working but under powered. I was done with it for the night and the next day went through the purge process again and it seemed after running around in the driveway it was getting better as I got fluid moving around. I still couldn't mow that night because a thunderstorm was rolling in. I also had some issue with the engine starting and running full strength so I ordered a Kawasaki air and fuel filter. That did the trick on my engine, but when I went to start mowing to see how if it needed more purging or possibly some mechanical adjustments on the linkage for speed control and how it held up after an hour of mowing, I noticed some oil on the floor after I moved it. It was in fact from the rebuilt transmission. I could identify two places where oil was leaking from. So, off the mower and back on the bench. I took it apart and what I hope and think was that in my attempt to not overdo the application of the sealant, I was too sparse with it and left some aluminum to aluminum contact patches big enough to leak. Now before I put it back together and try again, I had a few questions. Is the sealant I used good? Mine is clear, and I noticed black from the factory. The manual didn't specify that I could see. I dry fit the two halves together and figured out how I would line the pins up, then pulled it apart and applied the sealant to the body and then dropped the side plate into place. I uniformly tightened all the bolts down and let it sit overnight. Then, the next afternoon after about 24 hours, I filled it with oil. To me the sealant does not look good. It seemed a little more brittle than the black factory sealant. Again, maybe I just didn't apply enough. I did do a thorough cleaning of the aluminum sealing surfaces. I had the entire unit broken down and scraped with a plastic razor blade all the old black sealant off and then cleaned with brake cleaner to remove any oil or deposits. Have a look at my pictures and tell me what you think.

Mike_Goad

Threads
from the pictures, you did a good job cleaning. however, you will have future issues of leaking. Hydro-Gear uses a black ATV sealant. in fact, they do have their own part number for a caulking tube of sealant. there is enough to do about t-axles per tube. these units run hot and the metal does expand. HG has only endorsed their sealant.
I do know people that simply went to the parts store and bought a black silicon RTV sealer that is heat and oil resistant and it worked fine. that is up to you.
another place people have leaking with is the seals. especially the axle shaft. there are key ways in most of the shafts that are very sharp and have been known to cut the seal. use protection, always practice safe sealing :laughing:
some kind of thin plastic card like an old piece of microfiche works great. at the minimum, use cellophane wrap around the axle shafts.
let me know how it goes.