craftsman riding lawnmower wont start - please help

swinefeaster

Forum Newbie
Threads
I starter her up today, no problem, stopped it a minute later and now she won't start. Just a clicking sound but engine doesn't turn over. Had the exact same problem earlier and got the mech to come in. He said he just need to move the fly wheel with a stick or something, that it was stuck. Anyone know how to do this? If it's this easy I'd rather mow my lawn than wait weeks for the mech to show up again...

Many thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fire the mech, he's doesn't know what he is doing. Willing to bet that either the cylinder is hydrolocked (with gas in the cylinder) or your valves need adjustment. Remove the spark plug and turn the engine over. If gas comes flying out you were locked. Caused by the float needle not seating in the carb. Time to have the carb rebuilt and changing the oil. If no gas, you need to check and adlust the valve clearances.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Put your hands on the screen on the top of the engine and rotate it a small amount.
If the starter turns almost a full turn ( or two on a single ) then bogs down and almost stops the the valve clearence need adjusting.