Honda 217 - Stripped carb mounting holes. Need info on how to fix.

swimman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda 217 - Stripped carb mounting holes. Need info on how to fix.
I have a Honda 217 and the mounting holes in the head that mount the carb are both stripped. Any thoughts on how to repair this type of issue? I'm hoping the mower is not ruined and that someone else has experienced this issue.

Thanks for any info.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Very fixable. Buy yourself as to what ever size you need a Helicoil repair kit. Everything will come in the kit you will need to make the repair except you will need a electric drill. The kits run around 30 to 40 dollars, it depends where you buy one as to price. There are other brands of thread repair kit out there also that work just as well as Helicoil.

swimman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. I have researched the Helicoil and have determined the carb bolt on my mower is a 6x85. However, I'm confused which Helicoil kit is needed. The top three choices (although I may be wrong) are: 6-32 (coarse) kit# 5401-06, 6-40 (fine) kit# 5402-06, or M6x1 kit# 5403-6. Anyone familiar with these Helicoil kits as this is the first time I would be using one?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Due respect to the helicoil suggestion. If it were my $ I would first look carefully at the next size up screw. That look would include the manifold material available to accept over drilling, and, of course the head material available. If there is enough material choose an SAE or metric coarse thread. The key IMO is to carefully control the drill and tap. The head would be best locked down on a drill press table or mill in order to insure perfect perendicular hole so the bolt head supports the manifold. If you must do it on the tractor get hold of a portable drill jig that will register on the head surface while drilling. There are hand drills with bubble gauges. In that case I would jack up the lawn mower to achieve proper angle while watching bubble. After proper drill selected for the tap threads do not change whatever setup used to drill and turn lubricated tap into hole. Here there is a real possibility you may tap crooked. That is why the drill press is best as the tap can be held in the drill chuck and started by hand (no power). Once some proper starter threads are available the head can be moved to a vise to complete. These thoughts apply to a hellicoi also IMO :wink:

PS If these suggestions are too much and the tractor is worth it find that "mythical" good machine shop. Good luck

swimman

Forum Newbie
Threads
The impatient me went to the auto parts store this morning and picked up a set similar to Helicoil. The bolt is an M6-1. All went well. The inserts have been installed and I test fit everything without the gaskets as I need to get new ones. I'll visit the local mower shop tomorrow to get the gaskets and get it all put back together. Hoping all works well and thanks for all of your help.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The impatient me went to the auto parts store this morning and picked up a set similar to Helicoil. The bolt is an M6-1. All went well. The inserts have been installed and I test fit everything without the gaskets as I need to get new ones. I'll visit the local mower shop tomorrow to get the gaskets and get it all put back together. Hoping all works well and thanks for all of your help.

That's what I would of did if it came into my shop. :thumbsup: I have had very good luck with Helicoil.