JD 320 Front Axle

Glyn Robinson

Threads
how hard are the front axle bushings to remove? I'm talking about the bushing in the center pivot point and the spindle bushings. thanks

mhavanti

Threads
It isn't a big deal at all. Place the center of the front axle on a jack and lift it to a comfortable working height. Place some sort of stands below the axle on both sides. Remove the cap on top of the spindle and then the circular retainer spring. The spindle will then drop out of the spindle housing. You can drive the bottom bushing from the top and top from the bottom. Replace in reverse. Grease them very well with a high temperature axle grease because it will flow to the highest friction points during heat up.

Here is a youtube video to help give you a step by step procedure along with some safety steps for precaution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcv5Y6aj9UI

You will enjoy the outcome of the new bushings. You can also replace the wheel bushings to help tighten the steering. Also, check your steering rod ends. If they are sloppy, that too adds to the amount of play in your steering wheel. Don't forget to check the gears at the bottom of your steering shaft.

Glyn Robinson

Threads
thanks for the reply. i was referring to the bushings in the center of the front axle. it has a good bit of play as well as the bushings on the spindles. i guess i will tackle them all sometime.

mhavanti

Threads
I'd think the center bushing wouldn't be any more problematic. Let us know how it turns out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A fairly simple job.
Will be easier if the deck is dropped but not necessary
Drain the fuel tank , remove the batery and sling the tractor so it is just about standing on its bum.
The steering bushes tap out once the king pins are out,
The axel bush should come out towards the deck, which is why you take the deck off.
How easy it comes out depends upon how badly it is worn as they form wear ridges which catch.

Glyn Robinson

Threads
ok. you have talked me into it. ordering the parts this morning. haha

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you order the parts ask the dealer to print out the diagram from the parts list.
It is an exploded diagram and shows clearly where all the bits go.
If they won't then find another dealer.
You can print it out yourself by going here
jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt
And typing in your model number then scrolling down till you find the mower but it is a lot easier to get the dealer to do it for you.

Glyn Robinson

Threads
that's what i do. i go to that web site and print everything that i think i will need and keep it in a filing cabinet in the shop. makes looking for parts much easier for me and the parts department.

Glyn Robinson

Threads
got all the parts yesterday. all the bushings went in easy, except one. there's always that one. haha

mhavanti

Threads
Happy to hear you're up and running.