Price Check Buying this tomorrow, confirm it's worth it?

Threads
Hey guys, I'm glad I signed up and look forward to being able to contribute to this forum.

Looking for a mower, and I've always been partial to scag because my dad had one growing up.
He had a 3 wheel advantage and bought it in the 90s, and since then has put a couple motors on it and still running strong.

So, in my search and with a budget of roughly 2k I'm a bit limited. I wanted a rider and not a walker with a selkie.

I grew up mowing my dads 3 wheel advantage.....

I was able to find this local to me.

A 1996 61" 3 Wheel Advantage with a new motor.

The listing says

Scag 60# deck 3 wheel mower purchased new in 1996 and used for home use (not used commercially). We replaced the engine in 2014 ( $2,500 Motor ), and only used it that season for mowing. It has a new battery and has been serviced, ready for the 2016 mowing season.

00E0E_6pHS6z9I6ET_600x450.jpg

00404_douInNKgkdE_600x450.jpg

00F0F_kpt69LMLpqB_600x450.jpg

00C0C_bDZR8KczLfH_600x450.jpg

The listing price is 2300, and we agree'd to a bottom dollar of 1800. Before I go pick it up I just wanted confirmation it's a good deal.

I assume it is since it's less than the cost of the motor...

Thanks and appreciate it.

Here's a photo of how my dads striped last summer. I'll be happy with that....

398966_3250136101513_361682000_n.jpg

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hard to tell from a picture and I don't know your mechanical skills. But from what I see a paint job and a new seat and you should get many more years from that mower. It might need some bearings replaced here and there as you go but that's normal. But if you have no mechanical skills at all stay away because it could be a money pit if you need a repair shop to do your work.

Threads
Thanks.

I went and picked it up today. My Mechanical Skills aren't professional but I do all my families mechanical work and plan on installing a lift so I can easily work on my project vehicles and
motor builds etc...

I was pretty happy, I showed up and they handed me the original manual and paperwork from 1996 when they bought it.
Hour meter showed 900 hours, and a brand new 23HP Kholer was installed at a cost of roughly $2,500 with less than 20hrs IIRC.
They showed me paperwork and a reciept for a 2016 Pre Season Service. Oil and oil filter, Fuel filter, a cleaning, a greasing, a new battery, blade sharpening, oiling of chain and all this other stuff
that a local lawn shop did for them at a cost of $150. Was told they did this yearly despite it not being commercial, just their yard. I atleast had this years paperwork and receipt for that.
It ran and drove good with some expected wear and tear of a 20 year old mower.

The blades and everything were on electric switches ( My dads were all manual )
The Parking Brake springs looked new and multiple other items looked new.

I believe I walked away with a great deal at $1,800. Hopefully I have many years ahead of me with this mower if I don't upgrade.

They even had a 12v line wired to behind the seat to power an attachment like a tow behind sprayer. lol, Loved it. I'm all about modifying something to your specific needs and making something better.

Look forward to this seasons mowing and showing off my yard!

I don't know that I will this year with my first child expected July 31st, but at some point I'll tear it apart and have a few pieces re powder coated. (the deck, Arms, Cover, Rear arm/seat.)

Nysrx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Nice mower. I just sold mine today. 524 hrs and a velocity deck. Replaced it with a wildcat with 252 hours. Both had 61 inch decks. Would of never sold the 3 wheeler if I had not just a few of my disc in my back fused together.

Threads
Unfortante about your back. New ones nice I bet though!

I bought it and am very happy.

My yard is noticeable even 400ft up. :p I mow my neighbors as well.
13130879_10205992863129902_1927010084506733635_o.jpg

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Other then the color it looks like a twin to my Ferris. If I was to like mowing lawn I like the three wheel mower over the O turn.