Engine Craftsman weed eater with ryobi power plant dies after warming up

mikaho

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman weed eater with ryobi power plant dies after warming up
I just bought a used weedeater. It is a craftsman weed eater but someone replaced the power plant with a ryobi engine. It primes fine on the a choke setting, starts fine on the b choke setting and runs great on the c choke setting for about 15 minutes. Then starts dying. Will hardly run at all on the c setting if you give it gas. Will run at about half speed for 3 or 4 minutes on the b setting then dies. But always restarts immediately.

Any ideas?

Apologies in advance as I am not sure what model ryobi engine is on it and can't find anything with a model number on it related to the engine. I did check the spark arrest screen and the spark plug and both are clean. It was also empty when I bought it and I mixed fresh gas. A note on that: The craftsman manual indicated 40:1 mix. The Ryobi label (which did not give a model number) did indicate 25:1 which I gather is odd. I used the 25:1 mix since I heard it is better to err toward too much oil rather than too little. But I don't know if that might be the issue since most ryobi info I can find seems to be 32:1.

Last edited: