youngdave

david young

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an 11 yr, old hustler fas track w/ 52 in, cut has 20 hp. honda engine. After i have run it a while and shut it off, try to start it the starter clicks several times before it restarts, it most always restarts but it is annoying to have to set and click it 5 to 15 times before restart. what can i do to avoid this?

Mikel1

Threads
How old is battery? What voltage is on battery when you shut it off? Does voltage start climbing shortly after shutting off? Make sure connections are clean and tight.

LeakyGasket

Threads
I have an 11 yr, old hustler fas track w/ 52 in, cut has 20 hp. honda engine. After i have run it a while and shut it off, try to start it the starter clicks several times before it restarts, it most always restarts but it is annoying to have to set and click it 5 to 15 times before restart. what can i do to avoid this?

Since nobody else is responding, thought I'd give it a shot. It sounds just like a starter solenoid. Not sure if your mower has one, but my guess it does. If you hear clicking, the battery is pulling in the solenoid, but not making contact with the battery. The solenoid takes the signal from the key start, and pulls in a heavy metal disk which connects the battery positive to the starter. If the solenoid is old and much used, they can develop burned surfaces on the metal disk which impedes current flow -- the reason for many attempts before it finds enough metal surface to make an electrical connection. If you can find the solenoid, it should be an easy replacement.

WOOPS: Didn't see the comment before mine.:ashamed:

Last edited: