My LA100 has low hours but recently started surging when the choke is in idle.

Jordan

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / My LA100 has low hours but recently started surging when the choke is in idle.
When I start the mower by choking it it will run fine for maybe 5 secs and then it will sound like it's flooding and getting ready to stall so I'll back the choke back down to the "run" area right in the middle. At that point it will start to rev up and down or "surge".

I can find a sweet spot halfway between fully choked and run where it'll idle more or less consistently but at a higher RPM than normal. I can even mow my whole yard with it like this and I have a few times but I'm wanting to see if I can fix the issue now rather than dealing with it. I've recently change the plug and fuel filter but no change.

Any ideas?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / My LA100 has low hours but recently started surging when the choke is in idle.
Dirty carb.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Water in float bowl
partially blocked main jet.

post the engine type and the complete set of numbers on the id tag.

wfrpalm

Threads
Drain the float bowl to get any water out and run some Seafoam through it and see if that cleans the gunk inside the carb.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Carburetor problem, surging is something wrong in the low speed circuit of the carburetor.

PJ

Threads
When I start the mower by choking it it will run fine for maybe 5 secs and then it will sound like it's flooding and getting ready to stall so I'll back the choke back down to the "run" area right in the middle. At that point it will start to rev up and down or "surge". I can find a sweet spot halfway between fully choked and run where it'll idle more or less consistently but at a higher RPM than normal. I can even mow my whole yard with it like this and I have a few times but I'm wanting to see if I can fix the issue now rather than dealing with it. I've recently change the plug and fuel filter but no change. Any ideas?

To me it sounds like a dirty carburetor main or idle jets could be wrong bur worth checking

Warm regards

PJ