Three point turn with WB

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been looking at videos on Youtube and have been reading about three point turns. I know that they are important when using a zero turn since they can tear up turf easily.

All tho, it does not seem necessary with a WB mower unless the lawn is wet. What is your guy's experience on this? On Youtube people seem to swing these mowers around without tearing up turf. Even a mower mechanic told me that it isn't necessary.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
What does WB stand for, walk behind? If so it seems to me it wouldn't be easy to tear up the turf or it would be real tender turf. If a person is that fussy I would even want to walk across on their lawn much less mow it. There has to be people out there like that and I am sure glad I don't know them. But who am I even walk inside my house.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I advice customer new to ZTR's to use their left hand to control speed and the right hand to do the steering till they get used to controlling them.
This seems to overcome the tearing up the lawn problem which is not particularly bad down here as we tend to grow quite hard grasses.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I am talking about walk behind mowers, I am talking about the big ones. A 48" Ferris FW35 to be more precise. Sorry for the confusion.

I know the small ones don't rut ;)

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I am talking about walk behind mowers, I am talking about the big ones. A 48" Ferris FW35 to be more precise. Sorry for the confusion.

I know the small ones don't rut ;)

Now that makes a lot more sense :thumbsup:

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes. Sorry about that.

Any experience with these?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes. Sorry about that.

Any experience with these?

A walk behind isn't going to tear up turf like a ztr or at least it shouldn't. There's not that much weight to the mower or over the wheels. The tires in most cases are a lot smaller and don't use the same tread designs of a ztr, they don't need to because of the difference in weight.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks a lot Ric! I guess I just need to practice.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The trick is to slow down before the turn.
When trying to turn when going fast the inside wheel tends to slide.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks cars! I will remember that.