Need some advice

John Ragano

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking for suggestions on a heavy duty mower tractor to buy. I've just burnt out a 24 HP riding sears tractor and it really never suited my needs. I live on top of a large hill with up to 25% grade - that grows weeds I need to cut multiple times each year - about 6 acres. I simply have too much ground to cover to do it via a weed wacker.
Thus I'm looking for suggestions on what type of equiptment I need to buy.
Can anyone assist me???:smile:

indypower

Threads
I would look at a zero turn. And make sure the engine is a pressure lube engine.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looking for suggestions on a heavy duty mower tractor to buy. I've just burnt out a 24 HP riding sears tractor and it really never suited my needs. I live on top of a large hill with up to 25% grade - that grows weeds I need to cut multiple times each year - about 6 acres. I simply have too much ground to cover to do it via a weed wacker.

Expensive, but worth every penny -- Ventrac -- some pictures in the albums -- http://www.ventrac.com :thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm partial to diesel powered ZTR's but I am very impressed with the Ventrac like BKBrown has... If you are doing hills I think they are amongst the most stable.
If you were closer to Kansas I would aim you toward my sister and BIL.. they have a Hustler commercial ZTR with a 4 cylinder industrial Ford engine for sale. I talked her into getting a diesel powered one.
What ever you end up getting aim away from residential mowers, the 'homeowner' grade is ok for a lot size yard...
you need something more along the commercial line. KennyV

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Ventrac is not only great for mowing - it also has many attachments that will make taking care of things on your property easier. If you haven't already --- check out their web site. Everything on the Ventrac is commercial grade and it is very stable with just the 4 wheels and spectacular when the dual set (8 wheels) is attached. :thumbsup:

173abn

Threads
BK ,just curious as to the cost of your machine? check out the diesel powered Grasshoppers if any dealers around you sells them. russ

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mine ran around $25 K with all the attachments -- BUT - I don't need more than 1 machine to do what I need to do. The Ventrac and a Sthil Kombi + chain saws take care of my needs. Beats having a different piece of equipment for each job. Mine is the Gas 31 HP (they use the same engine block for the 31 HP Turbo Diesel. This one will probably outlast me :biggrin: !
BK ,just curious as to the cost of your machine? russ

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I think on a 25% grade I'd be looking at some type of gear drivin wide area walk behind mower with the adjustable rear wheel traction, something with a 60" cut. I think you'll have better control with a walk behind than a zero turn and it will or can cost a lot less than a zero turn.