Engine Only Runs Without Gas Cap

JCurry

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 9HP 4 cycle tiller with a Briggs TinePower engine (Model 19G402). I installed a new carburetor and now I can only get the engine running if the gas cap is off. There is no vent hole in the gas cap. If I replace the gas cap when the engine is running, it instantly shuts off. Even with the gas cap off, it will only start maybe 10% of the time, otherwise it fires up and shuts off within a second or two. When I can get it going with the gas cap off, it seems to rev up too high. Anybody have an idea?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is what I would do. With the gas cap in place, remove the fuel line from tank. If fuel runs slowly or not at all, remove cap. If the fuel now runs properly, your first problem is a bad cap, replace. If the fuel runs smoothly with the cap in place, we know it is good and then I suspect that the float needle is hanging up. You will either have to return the carb (I doubt they will take it back) or open the carb and check to see if the needle is hanging up. A partially blocked fuel line could also contribute to the problem.

Mike_Goad

Threads
What it sounds like is that the gas cap is plugged up. I agree with Rivets.
However, i would like to know why you replaced the carburetor. are you sure that the carb you put on is correct? was it installed correctly (linkage hooked up and governor adjusted properly)
I have been repairing small engines and teaching it for over 25 years. I have seen errors happen even by the pros.
Please do not take offense as none is intended.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does this engine have the oil gard low oil shutdown it. You don't say what your type number is but if you have the oilgard, disconnect it for now and see what happens. That being bad, or the oil level too low can cause the same problems you are showing as far as starting. Now for running too fast, that could be the static governor position is wrong for the new carb, but I haven't had any problems when replacing a carb with a like kind.

Even a plugged fuel cap won't cause instant shutdown, It has to remove enough fuel from the tank to create a vacuum before fuel flow stops.