Charging problems

bandit1538

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, new here and hoping someone can help me.
I'm using an old (around 25 yrs ) Brigs single 12.5 hp vertical motor for a back up generator driving a 60 amp alt. for one of our off grid repeater sites. The problem I'm having is at first it was putting out 13.8 volts, then it would only put out a little over 4v. I need 12v to run the auto start panel and 3 relays, took the stator off and had it checked, shop said it was bad, $110 later I put the new stator in and have the same problem, just a little over 5v at full throttle.
This motor is a 2 wire unregulated system, I have to keep the motor charging system separate from the 60 amp alt. that charges the batteries. Can anyone tell me why it's not working?
Pat

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are so many different alternators fitted we will need a lot more information. mainly the model & code numbers.
There are only 3 parts to the system
If the stator is good, what is the flywheel like ?
How strong are the magnets ?
Are they all in the right spots or have the slipped around and are touching each other "
Does the motor have a regulator or just a diode in the output ?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also what is the wattage draw on that start panel and three relay system.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum.

:welcome:

I'm going to move your thread on over to where it should get some more views.

bandit1538

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, new here and hoping someone can help me.
I'm using an old (around 25 yrs ) Brigs single 12.5 hp vertical motor for a back up generator driving a 60 amp alt. for one of our off grid repeater sites. The problem I'm having is at first it was putting out 13.8 volts, then it would only put out a little over 4v. I need 12v to run the auto start panel and 3 relays, took the stator off and had it checked, shop said it was bad, $110 later I put the new stator in and have the same problem, just a little over 5v at full throttle.
This motor is a 2 wire unregulated system, I have to keep the motor charging system separate from the 60 amp alt. that charges the batteries. Can anyone tell me why it's not working?
Pat

OK, here are the numbers.

Model= 283707
Type = 0156 01
Code = 9310284D

We put the test meter on it today (3-7-16) and still got just under 5v dc, but got just under 12 ac so I'm wondering if I put a bridge rectifier on the ac if it will get me enough volts dc to run two relays and the auto start panel which requires over 8v to run, the auto start only needs this to let it know that the motor is running, the power for the control panel comes from the battery. I'm thinking that there is something wrong with one or more of the magnets on the fly wheel, I didn't see any cracked or moved but that has to be where the problem is, so if converting the ac to dc will work then I won't have to spend $$ for a new fly wheel.
Pat
Update; I upped the rpm today (3-8-16) and got just over 5v dc and 12.5v ac, so if I put in a bridge rectifier what type would I use?

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Two wire unregulated charging would be the two wire connector with a red and black wire correct. One wire has a shrink wrapped bump just above the connector. Be aware the DC side of that connector is only 36 watt output. I am wondering if the relays and start panel is overloading the charging system and burning out the stator, or you have a short causing an overload.

bandit1538

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I put the new stator in the only thing hooked to it was the one small relay, I had the auto start panel unplugged so that's what makes me think I may have a bad magnet in the fly wheel, there is nothing left to blame that I can think of.

Update on post #5

Last edited: