stihl mm 55 tiller carb problems?????

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can get a build up of fuel condensed in the crankcase which will cause it to run strangley till all of it has gone.
So you might just try running it for a while
If this earlier model carb there are 3 adjustments
High speed and low speed mixture screws and throttle stop ( idle screw ).
On top of that the impliment might have an adjusted on the cable which will have to be adjusted very slack before you start adjusting the carb.
You start the proceedure by adjusting the HIGH needle which is the one furthest away from the engine.
Hold the throttle on fully to do this.
The safe way to do it is to wind it out till the engine starts blowing smoke then in very slowly till it just clears up.
This will have it running a little rich
Now let the trigger off slowly if it goes all the way then back of the idle screw till it goes as slow as it can while firing continually.
Then adjust the low speed mixture screw.
Out till it almost dies then in till it almost dies then back midway between the two.

Having the slow jet closer to the engine confuses a lot of people.
Also be careful with the jets thamselves, the LOW IS LONGER.

You will find it helpful to hold the handle of the tiller in a vice so the head is clear of the ground.
The high adjustment must be done with the tynes turning.

gmacmopar

Threads
Ok guys here goes, I have been working on this old carb with a rebuild and now after taking it apart 3 times the thing runs perfect. Spark plug is not black or lean looking idles fine and has plenty of power. I have no idea what I have fixed or not fixed just that it runs fine now. I have a new carb in the box in case everything goes south. I want to thank everyone involved in helping me to figure this out. I couldn't of done this without you.
Thanks again Gary Mac