SEVERE OIL LEAK!!!

BlueMax

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gentlemen and Ladies,

I have a VERY SEVERE oil leak associated with my 10-year-old Sears Craftsman 22" Mulcher. (6.25 HP Briggs & Stratton)

The leak is where the oil filler neck enters the bottom of the engine block. It's gotten so bad the oil literally flows out at an alarming rate, to the point where oil puddles in the deck recess around the engine! The entire top half of the motor (i.e. the gas tank and the pull start mechanism) is lose, which is causing a bad vibration when the engine is running. And I'm sure that helps add to the amount of oil leaking out as well! It's actually lose enough so that when moving this section by hand, I can "see" the oil filler neck move up and down where it enters the block!

I think there was a recall several years ago regarding this very issue, but it obviously was not very well advertised. Since the mower is 10 years old, there's no reason to think Sears will help.

That said, if this problem is repairable - for my backyard mechanic skills - I'd like to try and fix it myself, rather than paying a small engine repair shop to do the work. I think it's a seal issue (around the oil filler neck) but that doesn't explain the lose top section of the motor?!

Any help would be MOST GREATLY appreciated!

Dave

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Dave...
Welcome to LMF....
You can easily fix this.
Remove the filler,clean it, check for cracks and replace, it should thread in at the point it enters the block... Snug any loose bolts and your set... :smile:KennyV

jeff

Threads
First, replace the o-ring seal on the oil filler. Then tighten up all of the loose fasteners and check the enginemount bolts. Do you remember if you hit something like a big rock or stump?

BlueMax

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Kenny and Jeff.

First - thanks for the welcome!

Let me try responding by addressing each one or your questions individually.

Kenny - The filler neck doesn't "look" threaded. If it is - as lose as it is - it's probably boogered up any threads that are/were present. It honestly looks like it just "slips" into the engine block.

Jeff - I've never hit anything that I can remember that would have been hard enough to jar the entire top section loose. The engine mounts seem to be pretty tight. I use this mower only on my front lawn, as it is sodded. One problem is... I'm not certain how to remove the top section (i.e. gas tank and pull start mechanism with the shroud) to check and see if there are any loose bolts "under" the top section, which could be the culprit that's causing all this looseness?! As I stated in my first post, I'm pretty sure there was a recall on this very problem, but my mower never started this until at the end of last season. Typical right?! :mad:

If either of you have a PDF diagram of how this top section is removed, that would be VERY helpful. That or some in-depth instructions as to where I should start. :confused2:

Thanks again!

Dave

noma

Threads
Hi There should just be some bolts around the shroud to take out and then just lift off, you might find a manual on line on how to take that apart to. Try manage my life for a manual:tongue:

jeff

Threads
AS said by the previous poster, there are three or four capscrews that hold the cover on. It is likely that they are loose, causing the top of the engine to be loose. The only other bolts under the cover are the coil mount and the flywheel nut/bolt. I asked if you hit something because I have seen engine mount bolts loose after an object has been hit.

BlueMax

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the advice Gents!

You know... I've always thought the internet was a great place. But I'm beginning to think it's turning into nothing more than a SALES tool and little else! :mad:

I've been looking for the better part of 2 hours for an online parts manual for this mower! Most everything I've been able can find with the "exact" model number (917.387440) thus far, are a few web links to where I can "purchase" the stupid thing! If I wanted to "buy" anything (other than the seal I'll ultimately need for the repair) I would go to the local Sears store!

Anyone have an idea where I might find this "specific" model number parts manual online?!

Many thanks again for all your help!

Dave

BlueMax

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've checked both. The Craftsman website, shows the engine as one complete part number and to be quite honest, I kind of suspected that anyway.

I also checked the Briggs & Stratton website. It seems everything I could find there, was for current models in production and little else.

Any suggestions?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just edited last post to add the link for parts numbers from Briggs site. In looking up parts for a neighbor's Snapper I found that I had not found and entered what they wanted for model and serial #s -- after looking at their "where and how to find it" I got what I needed and it came up on their search.