SEVERE OIL LEAK

BlueMax

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gentlemen and Ladies,

I have a VERY SEVERE oil leak associated with my 10-year-old Sears Craftsman 22" Mulcher. (6.25 HP Briggs and Stratton)

It's developed a severe oil leak where the oil filler neck goes down into the bottom of the engine block. It's gotten so bad that the oil literally "flows" out at an alarming rate, leaving a puddle of oil in the recessed area around the engine on the deck! The entire top section of the motor (i.e. gas tank, and pull start mechanism) is lose and when I move it, I can see the oil filler neck move up and down where it enters the engine block.

I think there was a recall on this at some point, but it obviously wasn't very well advertised. So with the mower being 10 years old, there's no reason to think Sears is going to offer any help and if it's repairable - within the abilities of this backyard mechanic - I'd rather do it myself as opposed to paying a shop to do it.

Any help would be MOST GREATLY appreciated!

Dave

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
the oil pan were the dipstick tube fits in may need a new seal installed. if this is the engine i am thinking of you will need to remove the plastic cover that either snaps on or will have a few screws holding it down. next remove the fuel tank which is three 5/16 screws around the top and 1 3/8 screw at the right rear bottom of the fuel tank. next remove the 1/4 screw holding the dipstick tube put in a new seal check the 4 blower housing bolts for tightness and reassembly.

daddy3

Threads
new seal and check to see if dipstick tube is loose mightbe able to use a better o ring than the factory one