Honda engine transplant for Briggs-powered push mower?

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
  • / Honda engine transplant for Briggs-powered push mower?
Hello! I am new to this forum and am hoping for some sage advice for someone like myself who is semi-handy and somewhat mechanically-inclined. LOL

My GF has a 199? 21" Troy-Bilt push mower (self-propelled bagger w/ B&S 190cc 6.75 Quantum engine) that got damaged when she accidentally hit the stump of a small bush hiding in some tall grass. The shaft was bent and the local repair shop wants $180+ to put in a new B&S engine or $340+ to repair the one that's on it.

My question is this... is it possible to put in a 160cc Honda engine instead of the B&S 6.75 hp it currently has? The Honda I found at Northern Tool is only $40 more. I have nothing against B&S engines, but I've had good success with all of my equipment that is Honda powered. Has anyone done this kind of swap? I would welcome any advice you could offer before she bites the bullet and pays the 180+ for a new B&S

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
most of the mower decks are universally set up to accept about any engine currently manufactured for push mowers, kohler,briggs,tecumseh,honda doesn't matter. about the only difference may be the zone safety control cable.

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
That's reassuring news to hear. That makes me feel less worried about whether a blind swap will work.

Here's the engine I was looking at replacing the Briggs with:

Honda Vertical OHC Engine 160cc, GC Series, 7/8in. x 3 5/32in. Shaft, Model# GCV160LA0A1A | Honda Vertical | Northern Tool + Equipment

As I said, the Honda's only $40 more than the Briggs and this one ships via UPS for $20 instead of $120+ for truck freight Northern says you have to use to ship a similarly-sized Kohler engine. I figure the most I'd have to do is tap the motor mounting holes if they're left blank. Just gotta make certain the shaft diameter & length match the old Briggs.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup: