Raptor or Raptor SD ?

Good 1 Brian

Threads
New here , looking at getting a zero turn mower for under $4,000 , I have about 1 acre mostly flat looking at the 42" Raptor and Raptor SD
I will not be putting a lot of hours on the mower , the upgrade on the Raptor SD that stand out to me

1) Motor : Kohler 7000 vs Kohler Pro Performance 7000
2) Transmission : HydroGear EZT vs HydroGear 2800 this one needs to be service filter and fluid change is it worth the extra maintenance ? The HrdroGear EZT is a sealed unit no extra maintenance
3) Deck height : 4.1" vs 4.5
4) Blade Speed 16,700 fpm vs 18,600 fpm
5) Seat : SD has better seat with arm rest

Price different between the two $2.800 vs $3,800 is it worth $1,000 for the SD :confused3:

The other one that I also looked at Toro 42" MX4250 $3,600

Any opinions on the three or suggestion on a different make/model in this price range :anyone:

RhettWS

Threads
Welcome to the forum,

I purchased the SD a little over a month ago and I like it just fine. I did not look at the standard raptor because I wanted hydros that I could service. There are some other differences as you pointed out but that was the big one for me so I did not consider any unit that had the EZT hydros although I suspect they will last a long time.

Good luck .......... Rhett

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
New here , looking at getting a zero turn mower for under $4,000 , I have about 1 acre mostly flat looking at the 42" Raptor and Raptor SD
I will not be putting a lot of hours on the mower , the upgrade on the Raptor SD that stand out to me

2) Transmission : HydroGear EZT vs HydroGear 2800 this one needs to be service filter and fluid change is it worth the extra maintenance ? The HrdroGear EZT is a sealed unit no extra maintenance

Price different between the two $2.800 vs $3,800 is it worth $1,000 for the SD :confused3:

Any opinions on the three or suggestion on a different make/model in this price range :anyone:

The SD will be a little better mower. The drives are Hydro gears largest residential drives and are more suited to larger property's than the EZT and are worth the extra cost. The ezt drives are 10cc pumps and motor while the 2800 is 10 cc pump and 16cc motor. your spindles are all sealed on the sd so you don't have to worry about maintenance on them and your spindle reinforcement/ top plates are 7ga. not the light 14ga which makes the SD a little more heavy duty.. The faster blade speed is also a plus. Personally with $4000 to spend you may want to consider looking on criaglist for a low hour commercial mower. You could end up with twice the mower for the same money.

Rob45679

Threads

I had the same decision last April. Ended up going with the 42". Have a little under an acre. Fairly flat and a little bumpy. Took me 2 hrs to push mow and trim. Now I can get it done in or under an hour. Was going to buy the armrest kit. Quickly decided I didn't need them with the size of my lawn. Only thing I added was the mulch kit. Put 32 hours on it. From April to October. Very happy with the decision. Glad I saved the extra grand.

Good 1 Brian

Threads
The SD will be a little better mower. The drives are Hydro gears largest residential drives and are more suited to larger property's than the EZT and are worth the extra cost. The ezt drives are 10cc pumps and motor while the 2800 is 10 cc pump and 16cc motor. your spindles are all sealed on the sd so you don't have to worry about maintenance on them and your spindle reinforcement/ top plates are 7ga. not the light 14ga which makes the SD a little more heavy duty.. The faster blade speed is also a plus. Personally with $4000 to spend you may want to consider looking on criaglist for a low hour commercial mower. You could end up with twice the mower for the same money.

Thanks Ric for your help on the drives
Agree about craigslist what I find used on craigslist for what I'm willing to spent mowers that are overkill for my needs plus I'm 66 and this should be my last mower and having a 3 year warranty with a good local dealer that I trust reason for me to buy new

Good 1 Brian

Threads
I had the same decision last April. Ended up going with the 42". Have a little under an acre. Fairly flat and a little bumpy. Took me 2 hrs to push mow and trim. Now I can get it done in or under an hour. Was going to buy the armrest kit. Quickly decided I didn't need them with the size of my lawn. Only thing I added was the mulch kit. Put 32 hours on it. From April to October. Very happy with the decision. Glad I saved the extra grand.

Thanks Rob45679 for you reply , also looking at the 42" and adding the mulch kit
Do you have any issues with the mulch kit clogging , need to drive at a slower speed after adding the mulch kit and before using the mulch kit could you cut the grass if it was somewhat wet like in the morning with a lite dew on it ?

Good 1 Brian

Threads
Welcome to the forum,

I purchased the SD a little over a month ago and I like it just fine. I did not look at the standard raptor because I wanted hydros that I could service. There are some other differences as you pointed out but that was the big one for me so I did not consider any unit that had the EZT hydros although I suspect they will last a long time.

Good luck .......... Rhett

Thanks for your reply RhettWS
The more I'm looking into it the up grade in the drive may be worth it and I would think the faster cutting speed is a plus .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks Ric for your help on the drives
Agree about craigslist what I find used on craigslist for what I'm willing to spent mowers that are overkill for my needs plus I'm 66 and this should be my last mower and having a 3 year warranty with a good local dealer that I trust reason for me to buy new

Hope you are intending to live well past 69 :wink:
One or two of my 90+ year old customers might argue you on the last mower point as well.

Rob45679

Threads
Thanks Rob45679 for you reply , also looking at the 42" and adding the mulch kit
Do you have any issues with the mulch kit clogging , need to drive at a slower speed after adding the mulch kit and before using the mulch kit could you cut the grass if it was somewhat wet like in the morning with a lite dew on it ?
Clippings do get built up under the deck a lot faster with the mulch kit when the lawn is wet. Never changed my driving style. Last spring I mowed 4 times before I put the mulch kit on. There was a fair amount of clippings to clean out before the mulch kit. My lawn also has a good amount of clover that helps contribute to the build up. The harbor freight mower lift helped with that chore.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I'd forget the mulch kit and just pick up a set of G3 Gator blades. That will decrease the amount of clipping you'll have and there a bit better when cutting wet grass. Besides that there probably cheaper than a mulch kit.