Im not getting Emails

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So Bert, what's your point? Another mile long rant to those that disagree with you. Are you a paid shill for the ADMIN? 2500+ active members signed on to help others and all we ask in return is that the forum work with us, not against us. If no one answered questions there would be no forum. We don't receive anything from the advertisers, we work for free. Wouldn't it be in the best interest of the ADMIN to try to keep the hundred of members who answer the bulk of the inquiries happy? They don't even respond to threads like this or is that your job? Stick to repair threads where your posts, although long, are most helpful.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
No one is paying for this site and no one is trying to hide anything.
If we all want to pay say $ 10 pa each then Mohammad can move the forum to the server of his choice where all the CGI scripts will run properly.
As it is the phrase "beggars can not be choosers" applies.
For all the functions we used to have to work, the server software has to be 100% compatible with the forum software.
This whole site exists on the hope that some of us will respond to the advertising that appears on the pages you look at so they can get the "commission" or if not that on the tiny margin that computer advertising agencies will pay to insert those adds we all hate.
Site hosting costs money and so does storage so the current serves does not store photos which take a lot of memory.
It just stores a reference to an image held elsewhere.
When the page is being generated on your screen the server this forum is on tells the photo hosting server to put this photo in that place on this person's computer.
If and only if there is a fixed link like the code you see in photo-bucket.
o save on bandwidth and thus costs, if the photo is stored on the same server as the forum, it only shows a link.
This is fairly standard forum hosting software.
So again you get what you pay for, and we pay nothing so nothing is what we get.

This oft comes up on free forums, people forget that the internet and server space is not free, some one is kicking the can and generally what happens is as a forum becomes very popular it exceeds the limit for free traffic so administrators like Mohammad either have to find some one to foot the bill, or take the forum to another usually larger host. The bigger the host the fewer features you get allowed for free.

I run several forums and we come across the bandwidth problem regularly.
Some times the members are happy to stump up so we go to a fee for service host and enjoy all we want to happen and if they pay enough no adds, larger photos , faster downloads and email notifications.
On other forums we split the members into those who pay and get access to everything that is available from the host and those who do not pay and they only get access to the basic package features.[/QUOTE]

Well if we are serious about this I have a huge virtual server sitting on a 100mb connection. Lets talk about what is needed and how much bandwidth is needed.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So Bert, what's your point? Another mile long rant to those that disagree with you. Are you a paid shill for the ADMIN? 2500+ active members signed on to help others and all we ask in return is that the forum work with us, not against us. If no one answered questions there would be no forum. We don't receive anything from the advertisers, we work for free. Wouldn't it be in the best interest of the ADMIN to try to keep the hundred of members who answer the bulk of the inquiries happy? They don't even respond to threads like this or is that your job? Stick to repair threads where your posts, although long, are most helpful.

Well to put things another way.
This forum can not exist unless some where some one is making money from it.
Free forum hosting is not free, it costs money to host it and run the software and internet connections, provide power, cooling , maintain the computers & upgrade the hardware ,etc ,etc.
So the hosting organization has to limit what we cost them to run to less than the money they can derive from having us here.
No one from the hosting company monitors the individual posts so complaining about things that used to work and now don't work won't make any difference. apart from relieving pressure on the posters spleen.
Thus Ric's implication that some how he was being targeted was also wrong.
If we want more features that will cost more to run on the hosts server then we ( includes me ) will have to make it financially viable for the host to do so.
Hosting companies do monitor what forums cost them and compare this to what income it generates and when it gets too far the wrong way either they toss the forum off the server or cut back the features accessible for free.
No conspiracies , no persecutions, no vendettas, just plain and simple economics

Just the same as on your PC when system server software gets upgraded some things don't work like they used to and some hosts software is not 100% compatible with the forum software so when Muhammad changed hosts. some of the features do not work. So we either have to live with it or pay for the extras if we really want them, simple.

The biggest forum that I am on is Britbike ( check it out if you like ) which is a lot bigger than this one.
It is paid for by the advertisers $ 1000 to $ 5000 annually and by the members who get access to more features, the more they pay, from $ 10 to $ 100 annually.
You can still access and join Britbike for free which most people do.
And free subscribes get almost the same services as we do here.

Last edited by a moderator:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well if we are serious about this I have a huge virtual server sitting on a 100mb connection. Lets talk about what is needed and how much bandwidth is needed.

Send Muhammad a pm and talk to him.
He runs the forum the rest of us just use it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, I'm the member who says he's being targeted, not Ric. Make sure you blast the correct member. In the past I have PM Mohammad, to no avail. If you would look at who is doing the complaining, it is the members who are providing the answers to questions posted. We are the ones who work to provide accurate solutions, if no one took the time to help out others there would be one forum. We are just asking for the things that brought us here in the first place. Without email notifications we don't know if an OP has responded unless we log on. Many don't have the time like you to constantly monitor the forum. Many times we look like we don't care about trying to help someone because we don't know they came back with a reply. You can compare this forum to other forums and give us excuses as to why things don't work, but just like fixing a piece of equipment there is a solution. You just have to find the member who has been there before. Posters on this forum don't want excuses why we can't help them get their equipment running and we don't want excuses or silence when we have a problem here.

primerbulb120

Threads
A lot of larger forums have "archives" where the really old threads are stored. The archives don't have a lot of fancy formatting, and you can't post in them either. This saves space on the server(s) while still providing access to all the information on older threads.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
A lot of larger forums have "archives" where the really old threads are stored. The archives don't have a lot of fancy formatting, and you can't post in them either. This saves space on the server(s) while still providing access to all the information on older threads.

Some forums use 90 day limits on posting then there erased so they don't use unnecessary space.

primerbulb120

Threads
That would not be a good idea on this forum as a lot of people get information just from reading existing threads. Just look at how many guests there are browsing existing threads at any given time!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
That would not be a good idea on this forum as a lot of people get information just from reading existing threads. Just look at how many guests there are browsing existing threads at any given time!

You can set any time period you want but most figure 90 days is more than sufficient to keep postings available.I really don't see to many existing threads that are more than 90 days old anyway. I would say that if a post hasn't been responded to in 90 days it's time for it to go away.
Most members won't use the search feature on a forum anyway and chances are pretty good that someone here if asked will have an answer for the information your looking for without wasting your time going through three months of old posting and not finding what your looking for anyway.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, I'm the member who says he's being targeted, not Ric. Make sure you blast the correct member. In the past I have PM Mohammad, to no avail. If you would look at who is doing the complaining, it is the members who are providing the answers to questions posted. We are the ones who work to provide accurate solutions, if no one took the time to help out others there would be one forum. We are just asking for the things that brought us here in the first place. Without email notifications we don't know if an OP has responded unless we log on. Many don't have the time like you to constantly monitor the forum. Many times we look like we don't care about trying to help someone because we don't know they came back with a reply. You can compare this forum to other forums and give us excuses as to why things don't work, but just like fixing a piece of equipment there is a solution. You just have to find the member who has been there before. Posters on this forum don't want excuses why we can't help them get their equipment running and we don't want excuses or silence when we have a problem here.

Sorry Ric sorry Rivets.
Yes I can see that it is frustrating particularly if you access the forum via emails.
For security reasons I only ever access any forum, including the ones I run or moderate via a browser, through a couple of firewalls.
I actually find the "recent posts" function works fairly well and am looking to see if I can get that added to the software I use to run some other forums as it is not part of the Simple Machines Software package I am currently using.

It is easy to forget why this forum exists.
While it might be nice to think that it is here to help people with small equipment problems, it is actually here to get eyeballs to look at adds and eyeballs looking at adds is what pays for it's continual existence.
Some of this add revenue goes to Lawn Word, judging by the adds I see for gear we can not get down here and some of it goes to the forum host judging by the local adds I see tailored to what I have looked at on eBay, Gum-tree Craig's List etc etc etc recently.

None of the forum running software I have investigated has the email notification facility that used to happen when I first joined , because that circumvents the placing of adds and in particular live feed adds which in turn cuts off sources of funding.
Also generally I would not expect any one from Lawn World to ever look at any post here, that is what the moderators do and depending upon the powers they have been given they either take actions or refer the post higher up the chain.
SO if you would like answers then the thing to do is to log in then use the "contact Us" drop down and send an email to who ever is administering this site.
For all we know Mohammad might not even exist and it is just the name who ever is administering the site logs in as.

And no I have nothing to do with Lawn World or the web host that hosts the forum, I am just a mug user who chanced across it on a google search for information that I am denied access to down here.
Found it to be an excellent resource and because I believe strongly in fair play do what I can to pay back for benefits I have derrived from being on this list.
I also get exposure to a lot of problems I have not encountered thus also get information which may assist my business in the future.
However having set up a few sites, which included forums in my time and currently running a few I have a reasonable understanding of what is going on behind the screens ( well I think I have )