In-line fuel shut-off valve

ziti

Threads
I'm a new member here. Bought a new 52-in. raptor last year and very happy with it so far. Last fall, I was prepping it for winter storage and had a gallon or two of gas in the tank. I'm thinking of installing an in-line fuel shut-off valve. My old mower (a Honda 3011 had one and all I did was add a little stabilizer, close the valve, start it and run it out of gas. Never had any problem starting it in the spring. Anybody have any comments?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go ahead it is what I recommend to my customers

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not a fan of stabilizer. Better off draining the tank also. But do what works best for you.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I install a shut-off for a few reasons, on some engines if the shut-off solenoid fails it wont load the engine with fuel, if I have to remove the carburetor for maintenance , or change the in-line filter, or remove the fuel tank for cleaning / repair . I'd rather have than have not !
But it's always up to your preference YES there have been times I forgot to open it BEFORE starting and closing it AFTER finished running.... Boobala .........:smile:

ziti

Threads
Thanks for all your responses to the in-line fuel shut-off valve. There's still snow on the ground here in Massachusetts, so the mower (a Hustler Rapter 52-in. with 23-HP kawasaki) is still in storage. First chance I get I'll measure the i.d. of the line and see whats available for valves. Another thing I'm thinking about is where in the fuel line to install the valve. In between the fuel pump and tank or between the pump and filter or after the filter. Maybe it doesn't make any difference. I'd appreciate any comments.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
What size fittng ?
:confused2:

The biggest percentage of lawn mowers use 1/4 in. fuel line. I have come across shut off valves that restrict the flow too much, so I find a 1/4 in. ball valve works best.

577jersey

Threads
I install a shut-off for a few reasons, on some engines if the shut-off solenoid fails it wont load the engine with fuel, if I have to remove the carburetor for maintenance , or change the in-line filter, or remove the fuel tank for cleaning / repair . I'd rather have than have not !
But it's always up to your preference YES there have been times I forgot to open it BEFORE starting and closing it AFTER finished running.... Boobala .........:smile:
Correct me if Im wrong,,but I thought the float needle valve was what keeps fuel shut off and in the bowl to a certain level..doesn’t the solenoid just block the main from sucking off the bottom of the bowl during shut down to help prevent backfire??