My First Modification: Chute

RhettWS

Threads
Hello,

While agonizing over what mower to purchase, the discharge opening on the Raptor SD deck was a detractor. I read several posts were individuals groused about it. For a number of reasons I purchased it anyway with the idea that I would work on the discharge fairly soon. The chute itself sticks out about 1/2 mile and prevents you from getting remotely close to anything. On my first mow I just used a bungee to hold it up. This weekend I took off the chute and modified the deck using Lexan to cover the big hole on top of the deck. Images are attached. For some reason they are in reverse order but I have them numbered for you to see.

Chute5.jpgChute4.jpgChute2.jpgChute3.jpgChute1.jpg

I made a pattern with some poster board, cut the Lexan with tin snips, made a few small holes in the deck and voila. I had enough material to make two pieces so I did just to get a little added strength. Lexan is pretty tough material and I can trim or fiddle with until I finalize exactly what I want. I've not cut with it just yet but for now I have a see-through deck. :smile:

Thought some others might be interested in this.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Very good idea! It is well made and probably cheaper than an OCDC.

RhettWS

Threads
Certainly cheaper. To my knowledge nobody makes an OCDC for the Raptors that I have found. This is probably due to that crazy hole in the top of the deck and the flap would have to wrap a little around the leading edge of the deck. Once I get it a little more refined (if needed) I hope to work with the Grassflap people to see if we can make one to fit this Raptor SD. Their system with a foot pedal seems to be ideal. I would think with the high number of these mowers on the market it might behoove them to make one. Who knows. They offer a model for almost all the other Hustler mowers.

Stay warm!

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Definetly worth contacting the Grassflap people.

Usually, to my knowledge, most grass flaps are made universal. You buy them and you arrange yourself for it to fit.

Thanks, it was a nice day today. Not cold for once.

kraky

Threads
Years ago I made a similar modification to my John Deere lawn tractor. What I found after about a half of summer was I was sick of being plastered by grass on windy days. I also found that my discharge pattern wasn't quite as nice and what I wrote it off to was the fact that the discharge chute sort of created a back pressure which actually threw the grass a little better..... kind of like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose. I wasn't too crazy about the Raptor discharge chute when I saw it myself but I've kind of learned to adjust my patterns and live with it. Add to that I've got a lot of people that walk by my house on the street and it's a little nerve racking to have anything but the normal stuff on there just in case a little stone happens to get picked up.
I wound up going back to the normal discharge chute on my Deere lawn tractor but I had a tiny block of wood glued on the deck underneath it so it was lifted just ever so slightly... it wound being the perfect balance.

RhettWS

Threads
I wound up going back to the normal discharge chute on my Deere lawn tractor but I had a tiny block of wood glued on the deck underneath it so it was lifted just ever so slightly... it wound being the perfect balance.

Kraky I hear you. I too will have to give mine some time before I decide if I really like it. On two other mowers I have I removed the chute on one and just pull up the chute on the other. With those I was happier with it out of the way. Fortunately, I have enough room in my neighborhood to not worry much about hitting anything important. I also didn't saw my OEM chute off or modify it like I have seen other do so it is on the shelf, ready to go, if needed.

Thanks for the insight. :thumbsup: ....... Rhett

Doug44

Threads
What I did was cut the flap that came on it off at the seam. Still covers the blades but makes it a lot shorter, gets the tip of the shield back to where it's not dragging the ground and stops the windrowing on the discharge. This can be done with the shield still in place with a tin snip in a couple of mins.

GregCasteel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently did this mod, thanks to your original post. Works great, I hated oversized plastic discharge chute.

Doug44

Threads
I recently did this mod, thanks to your original post. Works great, I hated oversized plastic discharge chute.

Thanks for saying "Thanks" it is always nice to read when I help someone.

Have_Blue

Threads
Hello,

While agonizing over what mower to purchase, the discharge opening on the Raptor SD deck was a detractor.

Thought some others might be interested in this.

Good work!

I always mow counter-clockwise around obstacles so my chute never gets in the way. ;)

I kid, I kid, and I know exactly what you mean. I actually like the chute. Though a bit ugly, it's very simple and {should be} cheap to make or buy a replacement.

It looks like the chute is deliberately designed thin and flexible so it will survive an encounter with a bush.

I have considered attaching a cable to raise it if the need arises. It's also handy to raise the chute for parking and putting on a cover.

I have tried mowing without a full chute. Most times, it's fine. However, on windy days, I end up eating a half pound of clippings, dirt, and mold. So I do like a long chute that hugs the ground.

I think a chute could be made from nylon cord reinforced rubber mat. It could be long enough and shaped to protect you from blowing debris, yet flexible enough that it will not break.

Lexan can be heated in hot water and easily shaped, but I suspect you know that. A little sun, and it becomes very brittle. There may be UV protected Lexan, I'm sure you would know.