Scag SWZT vs Snapper Pro/Ferris SW35

sjessen

Threads
Yes. I'm switching to a 30 so much better, but I need to keep my 21" for one lawn that has such a small gate. Haha.
I understand that there are differences, but the closest dealer is at least 26 miles away. That would take me at least 30-40 minutes one way. Compared to my Toro dealer that is only 5 minutes away.

Try tipping the 30" mower on its side to get through narrow gates. Not too hard to do.

Conn0r33

Threads
Also, I forgot to add, there is a 200 lb. difference. The 48" Scag weighs 585 lbs. the 52 Scag 605 lbs. compared to the Snapper SW35 48 which weighs 809 lbs. and the 52 weighs 814.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, or the Ferris/Snapper are built better or have useless amounts of metal where not needed.

If weight is a factor for you, go with the SCAG. Don't forget these are still lighter than a ZTR.

Conn0r33

Threads
Well, or the Ferris/Snapper are built better or have useless amounts of metal where not needed.

If weight is a factor for you, go with the SCAG. Don't forget these are still lighter than a ZTR.

I'm not very concerned about weight when it comes to walk behinds. I don't know what constitutes "well built," one company says their way of building is the best another will tell you they are building a smarter way. The Scag appears to be built so in a way so that it is not putting a lot of weight on the turf. The Snapper/Ferris might be the more heavy duty of the two but I really have no idea. Everyone says scag is the best or, at least, they will say its a great brand. So considering what people have said I am leaning towards Scag because all the prices I have compared between the two brands are nearly the same.

My number one concern is how well each mower mulches. I will most likely go with the best mulching mower even if it were a completely different brand.

sjessen

Threads
I'm not very concerned about weight when it comes to walk behinds. I don't know what constitutes "well built," one company says their way of building is the best another will tell you they are building a smarter way. The Scag appears to be built so in a way so that it is not putting a lot of weight on the turf. The Snapper/Ferris might be the more heavy duty of the two but I really have no idea. Everyone says scag is the best or, at least, they will say its a great brand. So considering what people have said I am leaning towards Scag because all the prices I have compared between the two brands are nearly the same.

My number one concern is how well each mower mulches. I will most likely go with the best mulching mower even if it were a completely different brand.

The engines on the Scag seem a bit low on hp for mulching during heavy spring growth.

Conn0r33

Threads
The engines on the Scag seem a bit low on hp for mulching during heavy spring growth.

I called a dealer today. They said I should be fine mulching and using a sulky during even spring growth, but that is the dealer. :wink:

Can big commercial mowers even mulch well? Like 100% of the time like I want to do or not? Am I just trying to do something that isn't most likely possible? I've heard guys who say that decks are made one way by manufacturers and that is mostly to side discharge. If you want to mulch you will be adding baffles to TRY to change the airflow of the deck which isn't what it was originally designed for. Is this true or can large mowers mulch very well?

sjessen

Threads
I called a dealer today. They said I should be fine mulching and using a sulky during even spring growth, but that is the dealer. :wink:

Can big commercial mowers even mulch well? Like 100% of the time like I want to do or not? Am I just trying to do something that isn't most likely possible? I've heard guys who say that decks are made one way by manufacturers and that is mostly to side discharge. If you want to mulch you will be adding baffles to TRY to change the airflow of the deck which isn't what it was originally designed for. Is this true or can large mowers mulch very well?

Every area of the country is different so what works here might not work for you and vice versa. That said, most operators who mulch will side discharge during the heavy spring growth and switch to mulching later, say in June or thereabouts. Locally, there are a handful of guys who mulch all year round and their lawns look pretty good. Guys who mulch oftentimes struggle with dallis grass stems and lawns that are cut biweekly. Since I run Exmarks I cannot speak to how well the Scag or Snapper Pro mowers will do for you. Hopefully, others will chime in with their thoughts. Worst case, you could purchase a mower with a full mulch kit using that until you have problems and remove until later in the year and during leaf season.

Best of luck to you!

Conn0r33

Threads
Every area of the country is different so what works here might not work for you and vice versa. That said, most operators who mulch will side discharge during the heavy spring growth and switch to mulching later, say in June or thereabouts. Locally, there are a handful of guys who mulch all year round and their lawns look pretty good. Guys who mulch oftentimes struggle with dallis grass stems and lawns that are cut biweekly. Since I run Exmarks I cannot speak to how well the Scag or Snapper Pro mowers will do for you. Hopefully, others will chime in with their thoughts. Worst case, you could purchase a mower with a full mulch kit using that until you have problems and remove until later in the year and during leaf season.

Best of luck to you!

How can mulching cause dallisgrass?

Conn0r33

Threads
How much horsepower do I need to mulch at almost any speed within reason and ride on a sulky and going up hills if I needed to on thick healthy lawns? How much would be required to get me the best mulching performance in most conditions.
I realize muching is harder for the mower to handle so I can't just drive 7mph over 10" tall thick thick grass but I just want to know what is needed for most cases.