Hustler Super Z with hyperdrive

mhall17

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,
I have a Ferris mower now and want to buy a Hustler super Z. I am looking for input on how they cut and any unusual problems anyone may have had. The cost is pretty steep and I want to do my research before parting with the cash. Thank you.

gundog

Threads
Hi All,
I have a Ferris mower now and want to buy a Hustler super Z. I am looking for input on how they cut and any unusual problems anyone may have had. The cost is pretty steep and I want to do my research before parting with the cash. Thank you.

I'm on my second Hustler Super Z with my latest being a 2014 Super Z HD. I have had virtually no problems of any kind with either Hustler other than normal wear. On the older Hustler I did slide down a steep and wet bank into a pond which did cause a problem with the clutch so I replaced it. I'm now more careful when the pond banks are wet. The Super Z HD has the VX4 deck which works great for me providing an excellent cut on what is mostly fescue and other pasture grasses. The engine on my latest Super Z is the Kawasaki FX850, which I do not believe is available on the newer Super Z HD's, but this engine has performed exceptionally well with plenty of power for my needs and has not burned a drop of oil since my purchasing it. My previous Hustler with a Kawasaki also never burned a drop of oil. I use nothing but Amsoil 10w-30/30 small engine oil in both. Each of these mowers were with the 60 inch deck. The newer Super Z HD 's I believe are only available now with the bigger engines which I do not believe are necessary unless you are cutting two foot tall bahia or like grass, so for normal mowing may be overkill and you will certainly not be lacking in power. I especially like the feel of the hyper drive as it is exceptionally smooth and no doubt about its dependability.

for my last purchase I gave serious consideration to the Gravely 460 but taking everything into consideration and with dependability and longevity being important, I went with the Hustler. I will add that the seat on the Super Z HD as it is absolutely great and being that I have a bad back this a must have. Being the only mower I have bought the same brand back to back, should be a clue as to my opinion on the Hustler.

Last edited: