Insecticide dispenser options

Kainedogg

Threads
I have 5 acres and as many ant hills. Does anyone have a pull behind solution for our Zero turns? Pictures would be awesome. I have an old Hustler that I repurposed with a 15gal sprayer for the weeds but need something to crush the hopes and dreams of the ants as well.

RhettWS

Threads
I have 5 acres and as many ant hills. Does anyone have a pull behind solution for our Zero turns? Pictures would be awesome. I have an old Hustler that I repurposed with a 15gal sprayer for the weeds but need something to crush the hopes and dreams of the ants as well.

Hello,

I don't have a pull behind solution for you. Personally I just pour some powdered ant poison on them it it seems to work fairly well. Others I just mow over. Not good for your mower but it sort of fun to give them the business.

With 5 acres I would suggest you contact your county extension agent. Here in Louisiana we can obtain spreaders mounted on ATVs from the extension service to treat fire ants. I read where several people do this for their small to medium live stock paddocks. The agent might also be able to steer you to the most cost effective treatment for your size property.

Lastly, for what it is worth, fire ants (and I suspect some other species of ants) directly impact tick populations. Growing up in Louisiana I always had to pick ticks at the end of the day. Now they are few and far between except in heavily wooded areas. I still like to mow them down though!:biggrin:

Rhett

Kainedogg

Threads
Lol, thanks brother. I did some research over the weekend and think I have an option. a small pull behind dispenser from Tractor Supply Store.

mhavanti

Threads
I purchased TSC's 15 gallon pull behind tank sprayer. I mounted the booms in reverse so they are facing toward the front of the trailer when folded in order to store the unit in a much more confined area. It takes up much less linear space now.

It is a good little unit with one exception and that is the drain cap leaks. I put an o-ring inside the cap to try to eliminate the leak. It isn't a bad leak. However, if you need to leave the unit for a second spray in a few days, the tank will leak out.

There is one more thing I intend to try come spring and that is to draw file the end of the drain spout to see if I can make it flat enough to stop the leak in conjunction with the O-ring.

Mine can either broadcast spray or you can use the wand and drench their butts good.

I think you're on the right path with the TSC pull behind sprayer.

Good luck,

Max