Any garden tractors with lsd?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Really tired of being stuck on any slight, wet or snowy grade because of rear wheel spin up. I think some of the garden tractors have LSDs. But all I see locally is Husqy with an electric unit. Any suggestions?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
LSDs limited slip differential??? I have seen locking differential on farm tractors or ATV's but never on a lawn or garden tractors. limited slip differential is something on a truck or car that works off of a governor that's built into the differential gears.. Now I am not saying there isn't such a thing because I don't know.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, limited slip. Pretty sure Husky offers a garden tractor with lsd. I think it was electric and added ?$300 to sticker.

YT125

Forum Newbie
Threads
Old Simplicity and Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors do

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks guys, Yes I found Simplicity today at Jack's. It's supposed to be a good unit, but over $6K. I also found Husqy GT48XLSi at Jack's with lsd for $3395. Mowers Direct has the Hsqy GTH52XLS with lsd also for $3395. I really hoped to get Kaw engine with lsd, but latter unit is Briggs Endurance series. Still leery of Briggs because my Intek acted up when nearly new, but has been good since I fixed the pushed guide. It runs too hot. I think I read the Endurance has a better fan. My Dyt 4000 is still doing its job, but I think I feel the trans slipping now. Both Husqys have beefy transmissions . A review said the Deere 500 series is the best , but more than the Simplicity.

ingigo

Threads
I researched the limited slip differential (lsd) before buying, because most mowers, even a $15,000 Ferris and some old 4wd JD's and larger 4wd tractors could not mower the property to a "finished' look...2-3 inches without getting stuck or just ruining the property. The Husqvarnas made some changes around 2014-2015 and the GT-Garden tractors have some sort of switch to lock the rear diff. The 2015 and newer have a foot pedal switch to lock the tranny. My problem with the switch is that I cannot always reach it with my foot while steering at an angle and the wheels can slip where you do not want just because you have to manually disengage it. Great for a garden and other situations, it can be a pita to use while navigating and turning. The Husqvarna YT__XLS series has the auto diff-lock transmission (think Posi-Trac). I was VERY hesitant of this tech, I had not seen it in lawn tractor that size, and the test drive was a confusing ordeal.:confused2: [/SIZE]When I got the mower for about 3800 at a local Husqvarna dealer with a new Kohler instead of the Kawasaki and a nice fabricated mower deck. The auto- diff lock is INCREDIBLE. It has a small learning curve but the thing never gets stuck unless it tops out on a stump or something else. You usually cannot feel the diff engage, so turn wide or very slow. You will figure out that the pedal only needs to be advanced a very small amount to just crawl over things and not get stuck in slippery conditions. I am still amazed with this differential, just treat it well, it is not a Garden tractor, but I think it feels it has 23" tires! With 26 hp on these you will never be short of power unless you are powering a generator, snowblower, coffeemaker and mowing at the same time.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
igigo, Thanks for the effort, but I'm still a bit confused on the Husqy lsd actuation of pedal vs switch. Are there two distinct models, one with pedal /switch actuation
vs one which is hands off? I got a little lost when you mention "cannot reach switch with foot." Is the pedal a kind of switch? I have only seen pictures of a dashboard with what looks like a rocker on-off switch. Do you know the Tuff Torque transmission model numbers of the two (if there are two) units? (I am also reading your other thread response)

ingigo

Threads
LSD is a chemical acronym and a engineering acronym. The engineering aspect of a limited slip differential (LSD) is much different than an engaged differential. On Husqvarna GT-Garden tractors you have some kind of switch to engage "differential lock". It may be on the dash in some form or on the foot platform. This is nice for ground engaging equipment because YOU control the differential lock meaning you can use both rear wheels in tandem to pull that tiller or plow or whatever without the tranny unlocking until you decide so. LSD-25, I mean LSD (Limited Slip-differential) requires NO switches or pedals to engage. The tractor will use the differential normally until it detects a wheel slipping, then it locks the differential. This differential does not need to be as strong as a garden tractor. I will look up the limited slip differential vs. the garden model. In your case, it sounds a lot like my situation. I can't keep engaging the locked differential because one--you tear up turf like crazy, and 2. It is impossible to keep momentum and control the differential lock without ripping out sod. I have NEVER been disappointed with the LSD. It works when you need it and never gets stuck...if you drive it right. If you do not plan on using it as Garden tractor and have tough, sometimes snowy, muddy and almost boggy conditions and do not want to rip your lawn up, go with the LSD. Husqvarna YTXXXLS XX=the inches of your deck. Hope is helps! Make sure you have good shoes (tires) to put that tranny traction to the ground!!!!!!!!

ingigo

Threads
Here is all the Husqvarna tractors with Diff/Lock & Prices
YT42LS TT-K46CR $2,099.95
YT46LS TT-K46CR $2,299.95
YT42XLS TT-K46CR $2,649.95
YT48XLS TT-K46CR/LD $2,899.00---I recommend for you...true LSD
GT54LS TT-K66ELD $3,199.95
GT48XLSi TT-K66ELD $3,399.95
GT52XLSi TT-K66ELD $3,499.95

Here are all the Husqvarna Tractors with a Heavy Duty Transmission aka GARDEN, plow, blades, ground engagement and pulling your yacht.
GTH24K54 HG-G730 $2,899.95
GT54LS TT-K66ELD Price see above
GT52XLS HG-G730 $3,299.95
GT48XLSi TT-K66ELD Price see above
GT52XLSi TT-K66ELD Price see above

The CR/LD at the end of the tranny name means it is a LSD limited slid differential go to <tufftorq.com> and check them out. ELD is electronic diff lock...like the switch you described. On the new ones it has a small pedal to engage the diff lock, no switch.
sorry, I must get some grub. Later and happy researching!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
ingigo, thanks a lot for such well written ,informative information. I will use it as buyer guide when my Craftsman wears out, AND to educate the Husqy dealer. motoman