Changing Hydraulic oil in Hustler Raptor SD 54

hagar2112

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Changing Hydraulic oil in Big Dog R748

Hi, I am new to this forum and have a question that I hope one of you can answer. I have been doing maintenance and changing fluids on my Hustler so its ready when Spring rolls around. Today I was changing the oil in the hydraulic system and after draining it out putting new filters on I went to add the fresh fluid through the holding tank under the seat. I did this and filled it up a little past the cold level mark and noticed that it did not seem to be draining down into the transmissions, I then put the cap back on and cranked the mower thinking that might suck the fluid down, but it still remained at the same level. I then with the wheels off and the rear end jacked up pushed both bars forward and could see both hubs spinning, but still the fluid level had not moved as far as I could tell. I then took one of the filters off to check and see if the oil had made it that far and very little had. So my question is what is the procedure for refilling hydraulic oil in a Hustler Raptor SD? Thanks

Hw to remove tranny plug on big dog R748. is not an alanwrench shape, is round

Doug44

Threads
You need to remove the bleeder or air plugs on each hydra drive. On my Hustler Raptor they are 1/4 american size Allen head plugs that fit flush in the cases. They will be located on the inside of each drive and towards the top of the drive. Be very careful and don't strip these plugs as they are flush with the cases and if you mess up the flush heads it is not going to be a good day. :thumbdown: good luck I don't think you will ever get them refilled until you remove these plugs

rick kinney

Forum Newbie
Threads
this is a plug so use a hex socket or you will strip it out it's very tight. after oil is in then lift the mower so the wheel are off the ground and smoothly move the arms to get the air out.
i still have problems and if you disengage the pumps by the metal rods by the engine ( with engine off) you can pump the handles about 50 times then re-engage and the pumps will start working. down load owners manual and it will tell you.