Kids cutting grass

mamaA

Threads
How old were you when you first got to cut grass? My oldest two (ages 8 and 10) are starting to cut more and more. The 10 year old started cutting last summer and this is the 8 year old's first year.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I started cutting grass when I was about five. Manual reel type mower. Was using a riding lawnmower by myself at 9.

Hand2ThePlow

Threads
You didn't mention if they were mowing with a push or rider

Greenblades

Threads
I want to say I was nine when I started mowing grass--with a push mower. But now that I think about it, there is no way I would let my nine year old mow the grass.

Funny how when you're a kid it seems perfectly within your range, but as an adult one can get kind of...into the "lets wrap them in bubble wrap and helmets stage" .

Well...unless it was a non engined mower. Then I'd probably let the kid have a stab at it.

JimmyWeb

Threads
I have a young one, a 9 year old to be exact, and I would definitely let him use a push mower. I think he's mature enough to handle it, and he's physically capable, so I say why not? I'm going to wait a little while before letting him use a riding mower though. Maybe in a couple of years, we'll see..:wink:

I want to say I was nine when I started mowing grass--with a push mower. But now that I think about it, there is no way I would let my nine year old mow the grass.

Funny how when you're a kid it seems perfectly within your range, but as an adult one can get kind of...into the "lets wrap them in bubble wrap and helmets stage" .

Well...unless it was a non engined mower. Then I'd probably let the kid have a stab at it.

Greenblades

Threads
I guess I'm just too wary of the kid cutting its foot off. But I can be a bit of an overprotective momma bear when it comes to them.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't be too protective ... but do watch their capabilities.
You will have a sense as to what might be safe for one of your children but a big accident waiting to happen with another.
Got to know your kids... AND be lucky. KennyV

mystreba

Threads
I don't remember where I started, but I was making money with a push mower at 13. Most mowers these days are MUCH safer than mowers were back then. In those days, a mower was pretty much just a motor with a blade, and a deck added almost as an afterthought. I say let the kids do it, but make sure they understand how to do it safely.

I have my 9 year-olds using pneumatic nail guns and 22-cal. nail guns. It's all in how you teach 'em.

mamaA

Threads
My kids are uses a push mower. My husband does not let anyone use the riding but him (unless I sneak and do it when he's not around... lol).

We supervise the kids and they have been doing well with cutting grass.

cren

Threads
I would guess right around the age of 9 or 10 maybe, but was a push mower first. I know my parents were keen about teaching us the hard way before the easy way and lately with the size of ground we have now, its not always so easy even with a riding one.