honda hrx217hya idle problem.

kevin32

Forum Newbie
Threads
2013 Honda hrx2174hya mower will die when move from fast to slow idle. I recently tighten the idle screw 2-3 turn and now it will idle on slow. I was wondering if this is a good fix or do I need to take it to a local Honda dealer? I also notice when I engage the blade the engine seem like it want to die and sometime it just shutoff. It usually take 2-3 try to get the engine to start. I check the auto choke, and it work fine (close when cold, open when hot). I bought it used and haven't mow with it yet. Could it be a bent shaft?? I've already change the oil, new filter, new spark plug, and fresh gas. I also took apart the carburetor and clean it. also please see if the mower is still under warranty.

serial no. maga-2314005 (hrx2174hya)

thank you.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
OEM Parts : CyclePartsNation Honda Parts Nation

Honda Power Equipment HRX217K4 HYAA CARBURETOR | CyclePartsNation Honda Parts Nation I would first replace fuel filter item 3 which is located inside fuel line at fuel tank connection & return idle screw back to where it was. Check springs for governor & throttle for being stretched out & see if they are working properly. You may need to adjust throttle & blade engagement cables if they are adjustable. I would also adjust valves to Honda mfg. specs. with engine cold. Turn off fuel to carburetor petcock, place mower on its side with carburetor side up & clean underside of mower deck & remove & inspect blade after cleaning it up for cracks, being bent, nicks, etc. If blade looks ok dress it up with a file & reinstall & torque bolts to 40 ft. lbs. Post all numbers from engine from data plate.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/00X31VH7J020.pdf read through this manual

Last edited:

kevin32

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did exactly what u said. thank you so much for the help. I discover someone open the carburetor and forgot to put a air cleaner gasket on. No wonder my mower backfire and sometime take 2-3 pull to start. I've already order brand new gasket and I hope it will help. again thank you.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Let us know how it goes, thanks for responding.

mlf149

Forum Newbie
Threads
HRX217K4 HYAA Surge and Idle

Hello,

Re-starting an old thread but same type of issue. Bought the mower in 2014 and did un-box it until Summer 2015. I used it for about 2 hours in 2015.

This Summer (2016) it ran fine for the first 2-3 hours, then I noticed engine surge while full-throttle, but not under any load (blades off). Moving the throttle to SLOW, it immediately stails out. It runs fine at FULL throttle and under load.

I removed the carb, and completely cleaned all passages, nothing was clogged. Reassembled, ran fine for 10 mins, then started surging. I emptied the fuel, and put in fresh gas. Same, ran fine for a little, then started surging.

This was an expensive mower to have any issues so early. I'm about to replace the carb but I wanted to see if anyone had another idea.

Thanks!

Mike