Engine Scag 61V wildcat kohler eng oil level

gnedison

Forum Newbie
Threads
I believe I am going to have to have work done on this 27 hp Kohler engine soon. It seems to be blowing oil out through exhaust. I have to refill it some, every time i use it lately. It also is running slightly rough, except when I crank the rpm's up. Can someone give me a rough estimate of what the cost is to have the work done on the engine? Thanks

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is a tough question to answer, depending on number of hours on engine, engine should probably be torn down & inspected thoroughly, each & every internal part by a qualified Master Mechanic. If you have over 700 hrs. on engine you may want to look at new or rebuilt engines that carry a warranty. Just be sure to get all numbers from engine data plate for correct match.

Thanks Mad Mackie for input, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are several Kohler twins from the era of your Wildcat that had a major internal defect.
I suggest that you go to smallenginewarehouse.com, click on the repower link, click on Scag and find your machine model. Look at their repower recommendations for your own education. Make your decision after doing your homework.
As with almost any repower, there are other items that show up that will need to be addressed. You need to be aware of this and look for them as some are much easier to do with the engine removed.
With repowers, it is strongly recommended that the same crankshaft length and diameter be maintained.