Repairs Poulan model P3314 chainsaw won't start!

jamesva

Threads
I have a 33cc Poulan model p3314 type 1 chainsaw that won,t start back. Made a loud clang when cutting a small branch like the chainbrake was engaged but .wasn't. fairly new took good care to run the right mixture of gas oiled chain good etc. Locked up then I was able to get it to turn freely. pulls ok but won't hit a lick. Does anyone have an opinion on whats wrong with it?? Ran great before that! Do not believe it threw a rod just don't know! Thanks for anyones advice!JamesVA

Mikel1

Threads
You can check for the usual- spark, fuel, compression and timing. Might want to pull off exhaust and check piston. Had something similar happen to a poulan chainsaw and piston was heavily scored up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start by pulling the plug and having a look at the top of the piston.
Then pull the muffler off and check the bore and side of the piston.
If either are scored then your saw is effectively scrap metal.
The Poulans I see down here are not a patch on the old ones.
Looks like Husqvarna has made Poulan the bottom entry level saw.

jamesva

Threads
Appreciate your advice! The old Poulans in the 70's were good saws now these are like you said throw away saws. When I can I will check the plug and pull the muffler off and look inside there! Thankyou for your help!! jamesVA

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
After the second year I got smart & bought a cheap borescope, just to see how it would work.
I now have 3.
Saves a lot of time pulling stff apart that is not economical to repair and the pretty pictures of ugly engines goes down well with the customers.
It also means that I can get away with not charging for quotes ( well guestimates really ).
No one likes paying $ 30 to $ 70 to be told their equipment is not worth fixing.
OTOH a repair shop can not afford to spend all day working out they will not get paid.

jamesva

Threads
After the second year I got smart & bought a cheap borescope, just to see how it would work.
I now have 3.
Saves a lot of time pulling stff apart that is not economical to repair and the pretty pictures of ugly engines goes down well with the customers.
It also means that I can get away with not charging for quotes ( well guestimates really ).
No one likes paying $ 30 to $ 70 to be told their equipment is not worth fixing.
OTOH a repair shop can not afford to spend all day working out they will not get paid.

Never heard of that type of scope works like a doctors scope they look into your stomach with I guess! It is a shame they quit making them like the old ones I had a 70's 14 inch poulan used it 14 years without any prblems!! Talk with you latter my friend have a Merry Christmas!!