HR214 no low speed and oil leak

Hsquad12

Threads
I picked up an old HR214 that had been sitting for a couple of years for $10 so i could teach my Son how to work on small engines and flip mowers.

The motor was locked solid with very little oil in the case and i feared the worst but for once the engine Gods were smiling on us. :biggrin:
It took about 15 mins to drain the gas, remove the plug and get the motor free with a socket and breaker bar. Filled with fuel, some 10W-30 and five pulls and she was running. albeit like the Bizmark in a cloud of blue glory.
Once the smoke cleared i found the low gear was not working but the high gear dragged be round that yard in style.
i plan to put the trans/engine cover tomorrow to see whats happening but thought i'd ask if there is a simple/common trouble spot to look at first.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also noticed its leaking oil from a seal at the bottom of the motor. Is that a simple/worthwhile gasket fix on a $10 mower?

thx all

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

I also noticed its leaking oil from a seal at the bottom of the motor. Is that a simple/worthwhile gasket fix on a $10 mower?

Good chance the lower seal dried out from sitting so long. Replace it, cost low and not hard to replace.

molson1939

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good chance the lower seal dried out from sitting so long. Replace it, cost low and not hard to replace.

I have a 30 year old HR214 which has been an excellent lawn mower. I had problems with the transmission not going into the low speed. I know there could be an adjustment problem, but I believe that the transmission is not lubricated properly. I drilled a hole in the top of the transmission and found a plug by which I could keep the dirt out. (I didn't think I needed to be concerned about any drill fillings since things run at fairly slow speed.) I then sprayed WD-40 in the hole and eventually transmission started working.

Since then my engine started leaking oil, I think at the top crank seal. Any thoughts?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the flywheel off and check the seal'
If it is leaking clean every speck of rust off the shaft then give it a bright shiny polish dig the old one out.
put some vasoline on th shaft yo protect the seal and pop the new one in.