Snapper Auger Gearbox~model 8261

valley ranch

Threads
Greetings, This Snapper gearbox works well so the gears should be OK. The auger shaft seals are shot, also there is lateral movement of the housing, that is I can move it, the housing, back and forth in line with the auger shaft.

Is this normal, I see there are Thrust Washers, should there be this movement?

What's your thought?

Thanks Richard

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I really am torn about whether I should reply to your thread, as you seem to think the techs here should be quicker in answering your question. You posted Saturday evening, Sunday is a day of rest and most of us work full time and have families. Your second post shows your lack of respect to those who would answer your question for free. Maybe I should be just as disrespectful and just answer your second post. YES I HAVE, MANY TIMES. Now your first post. You don't say how much end play you have. With the type of gear box Snapper uses it is not uncommon to see end play up to .1875" as normal. You can now start calling me names because I don't like people who want things for free and still can't wait like a mature adult.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I really am torn about whether I should reply to your thread, as you seem to think the techs here should be quicker in answering your question. You posted Saturday evening, Sunday is a day of rest and most of us work full time and have families. Your second post shows your lack of respect to those who would answer your question for free. Maybe I should be just as disrespectful and just answer your second post. YES I HAVE, MANY TIMES. Now your first post. You don't say how much end play you have. With the type of gear box Snapper uses it is not uncommon to see end play up to .1875" as normal. You can now start calling me names because I don't like people who want things for free and still can't wait like a mature adult.

Where is the "like" button when you need it

valley ranch

Threads
Hi Rivets, Sorry I upset you,didn't mean no disrespect. Thank for getting back, even if it was against your best judgement. I did post on Sunday, by Wednesday I was starting to wonder.
I'm a mechanic also, should have gotten another machine ready so I could work on this one without the push, we're getting a lot of snow here in the mountains.

The movement is at least 1/4" could the extra movement be worn thrust washers?

Thanks again for coming by.

Richard

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How and what are you measuring for end play? Do you mean 1/4" movement on each side of the gearbox, or an 1/8" movement on each side if the gear box for a total of 1/4"? If the entire gearbox is moving a 1/4" left and right inside the auger housing, then you need to check the outside bearings. Unless you have a very old unit I doubt that the thrust washers are bad. Final question, does the gearbox itself move left/right or up/down when the unit is running?

valley ranch

Threads
Good morning Rivets, Snowing here. RE: movement 1/4" to each side.

calf 1.JPGHolly1.JPG

Testing to see if pictures come up.

Thanks Rivets for answering, does this mean you've forgiven me? Have a great weekend.

Richard

Last edited:

valley ranch

Threads
If the pictures are Clicked on they come up, but I was able to post them on the reply before. I'll try again.

Attachments

• calf 1.JPG
    calf 1.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Holly1.JPG
    Holly1.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 9

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well calves are pretty but if I want to see some all I have to do is look out the window.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I watch deer out my back window, have no idea how that answers my questions, so Bert I'm turning this one over to you or someone else. Again questioning why I answered in the first place, but now I'm going to the back window to see things that make sense.