Toro Snowblower model 38451 engine R & R

Ida-Boy

Threads
I screwed up big time and didn't remember that I didn't put oil in my snowblower when I put it up for the summer... :mad: Now I need to replace the engine.

I can't seem to find much info on remove & replacing a Toro engine on the internet... I can buy a replacement engine for about $250 to my door... but labor adds another $150 and at that price she becomes parts for who ever need parts from a machine with less than 20 minutes of run time.

Any pointers out there? Any special tools needed? I have confirmed the Chinese engine for the machine, just not ready to pull the trigger until I have more info...

detdrbuzzard

Threads
many people re-power snowblowers with harbor freight motors

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I need some more info before I can give you good advice. 1. Please post the serial number for your unit. I need to figure out which Loncin engine you have. 2. I doubt you will be able to use one on the Harbor Freight knock offs as a replacement. 3. Have you tried to remove the side cover and free up the engine. I have had very good luck with these engines after I have freed them up. You might be able to get a couple of years out of it. Waiting to hear back.

Ida-Boy

Threads
I need some more info before I can give you good advice. 1. Please post the serial number for your unit. I need to figure out which Loncin engine you have. 2. I doubt you will be able to use one on the Harbor Freight knock offs as a replacement. 3. Have you tried to remove the side cover and free up the engine. I have had very good luck with these engines after I have freed them up. You might be able to get a couple of years out of it. Waiting to hear back.

I have done nothing to it other than store it in my barn. Being unfamiliar with that motor and not being able to find much info on the internet I have just left it sit. Odd, you posted on 1-3 and I get the notification today on 3-4...???

Toro Snowblower.JPG

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your snowblower is a 2012 model with a Loncin engine. There is a service manual available on line, but I don't know if this link will get you there. If I had this engine I would try the following. Open up the unit and remove the recoil assembly. If you have a strap wrench, put it on the starter cup and see if you can turn it BACKWARDS. If you don't have a wrench, stick a large screwdriver or punch through the holes in the starter cup and turn BACKWARDS. You should be able to break it loose. After you break it loose, add fresh oil, remove the spark plug and slowly turn the engine over 10-20 times, making sure that it turns freely in both directions. Replace spark plug and start the engine. Let it run about 20 minutes to get the oil hot, then change the oil. Post back if you need more instructions.

https://lookup3.toro.com/classes/doGetPub/?pubid=70676&_ga=1.50880993.912493860.1426163160

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That site is not working with this forum, I hope they fix our attachments soon. Go to Toro's website, in the section " Find Parts" follow the links and you will be able to get a service manual. Sorry about the extra work.

Ida-Boy

Threads
Your snowblower is a 2012 model with a Loncin engine. There is a service manual available on line, but I don't know if this link will get you there. If I had this engine I would try the following. Open up the unit and remove the recoil assembly. If you have a strap wrench, put it on the starter cup and see if you can turn it BACKWARDS. If you don't have a wrench, stick a large screwdriver or punch through the holes in the starter cup and turn BACKWARDS. You should be able to break it loose. After you break it loose, add fresh oil, remove the spark plug and slowly turn the engine over 10-20 times, making sure that it turns freely in both directions. Replace spark plug and start the engine. Let it run about 20 minutes to get the oil hot, then change the oil. Post back if you need more instructions.

https://lookup3.toro.com/classes/doGetPub/?pubid=70676&_ga=1.50880993.912493860.1426163160

Thank you for your speedy reply... I DID NOT get an email about your reply so not sure whats up with that. Hope to get to this over the next few days and will post back my findings. 7 days on antibiotics and starting to shake this miserable virus.

Ida-Boy

Threads
Thank you for your speedy reply... I DID NOT get an email about your reply so not sure whats up with that. Hope to get to this over the next few days and will post back my findings. 7 days on antibiotics and starting to shake this miserable virus.
Well, good news and bad news. I was able to break the motor loose and I then filled it with oil and had to give it a shot of either to get her started... but after 7 minutes or so she started knockin and it sounds like she is ready to come apart... Thanks for the advise but I am sure now that I will need to replace the motor.

Ida-Boy

Threads
I found a new motor from Milwaukee Power Equipment for $238.05 shipped to my door. I figure I'll be ahead with a new motor verses selling off the parts on eBay.