Troy Built Mower Sputtering - Help!

concort

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2 year old Troy Built push mower 675 series.

This year all of a sudden the engine is sputtering after running it for like 5-10 minutes...then it progressively gets worse sputtering even more until it eventually shuts off. Whats this all about? We tore the carborator off and cleaned it all out as well as air cleaner and checked the plug. All is good. Still same thing. What gives? What do you think it may be?

Thanks in advance!

jeff

Threads
Check the fuel cap for proper venting.

concort

Forum Newbie
Threads
Proper venting? How do I know or how do I do that? It's just a plain ole plastic gas cap that is screwed on tight. Its never been a problem before. What do I do?

jteuban

Threads
If the cap is really just a plain jane cap then you can drill a pin hole in the middle to allow venting, but if it has some kind of venting device already there like a cone type thing then do not attempt this. If it is like that then you will need to replace the cap altogether. Cheers

concort

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ummm...I don't see any sort of venting in the cap. Just a sort of gasket thing on the inside of the cap...probably more for spillage than anything else. There are no holes or cones or anything. It is the standard cap that came with the mower. Why wouldn't it come with a tiny hole if it needed it? Do you think this could be the problem?

What if I try running the mower with no cap on at all? That would surely allow ample venting. Just seems strange to have to drill a hole in a cap that didn't come with a hole to begin with.

Just seems strange that this mower starts to sputter after it gets warmed up...and progressively gets worse as it runs longer to ultimate shut off.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try it without the cap... it may be partially restricted (Vent)... but I should think a vent problem will show up before 5-10 min of running... take off the cap for a tryout... :smile:KennyV
BTW ... Welcome to the LMF...

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there any posibility that your cooling fins are obstructed with grass clippings? - It may be getting too hot. Is there a fuel filter? - It may not be allowing proper flow.
Have you checked the oil?

concort

Forum Newbie
Threads
i tried it without the cap on (no cap at all) and it still sputtered...sort of sounds like an old antique car sputtering around.... Anyway, no go on the gas cap thing.

Also yes checked the oil that is fine, and the cooling fins are free and clear. Not sure about the fuel filter. Where would that be? Its a plastic molded gas tank...Would it be INSIDE the tank? Not sure how'd I'd get into that. I thought of that too.

Someone told me possibly the coil is bad. What do you think of that? I hate to try to replace that and have it not be the reason since those are expensive I hear.

Seems I've tried about everything else though :frown:

mstar

Threads
I do not know your machine but the fuel filter on many mowers is a little round plastic filter that will be cut into the line between the tank and the carburetor. They are cheap and easy to change.

concort

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yea I know what you are talking about with the inline filters...this does not have that. Its a newer model..There is a fuel line coming right out of bottom of fuel tank then directly into engine/carborator area...Not filter thing along the line anywhere.