2 barrel Nikki flooding

rstrauss

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm flooding gas in the carb; can see a puddle in the intake. I put a new needle in it and checked that the float does indeed float level in a container of water.

The float is plastic. I don't see anything in the manual for float adjustment.

I gravity feed from the gas tank, if that makes any difference. It's on a 20hp Vanguard.

Any suggestions to cure my problem?

logan01

Threads
Did you inspect the float visually against light (if plastic) and shake it to make sure no gas is in it? That can make it heavy enough to not close the needle. If it only floods when not mowing and you don't want to mess with it, just install a shut off valve in-line. Turn it off just prior to engine shut down or several seconds before shut down.

rstrauss

Forum Newbie
Threads
Float visually checked. All OK.
Floods with engine running.
I use the shut off valve when parked.
I don't see a replacement needle seat in the parts list or I would have changed it also.

logan01

Threads
You can eliminate the needle/seat by doing the following.

Remove the carb
Remove bowl.
Invert carb to about 45 degrees so the the float assembly just kisses the needle but doesn't depress it any
Attach a section of fuel line to the fuel inlet
Raise the float a bit so that the needle will be open
Slowly let the float down while blowing into the line
If the needle goe to its current closed position and you can still blow air through, there's a problem with the needle / seat
If your cheeks swell up and you can no longer blow air, the problem shouldn't be with the needle / seat

You can likely do that test by just removing the bowl while leaving the carb body attached

If so, blow into the line while the float is hanging down. If any air gets by, there's a needle / seat issue.

Have you checked to make sure the float isn't hanging or checked to make sure it can't hang when the bowl is on?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A lot of carbs do not have spare float needles available except in a full overhaul kit which goes near the cost of a new carb.

logan01

Threads
If this is the correct carburetor, the needle and seat are item #s 105A and 106. CARBURETOR-NIKKI Diagram & Parts List for Model 31a6070741e1 BRIGGS-STRATTON-Parts All-Products-Parts | SearsPartsDirect

This is a decent link. Looking at the carb, it appears the tab which would need bending is plastic. Been a long time since I've seen one of those. As I recall About the only way I remember being able to bend one was to heat it up, bend, let it get a set for a couple of minutes and cross your fingers. How about you Bert? http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_intek_v-twin_carb.asp

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Never even try to bend the tab on a plastic float.
It is not a fix it is a bodge
And Usually it ends in tears.

Lawnranger

Threads
Unfortunately, some of my customers are elderly widow ladies on a very limited income and can't afford a new $100.00+ carburetor and I have "adjusted" the float level by heating the needle stop and bending till cooled to get the float back into a working position. Is it right or wrong? That's entirely up to the person working on the machine. Kind of like the debate over using fuel stabilizer - you have to find what works for your particular situation.