Snapper RER wouldn't start

deminin

Threads
I have an old Snapper RER, Model 3314518BVE, that I bought in 2001. It has been quite good, with only routine maintenance, etc. A few days ago, I ran it for a couple of hours to mulch up a bunch of leaves in the yard, and when done, I cleaned it off with the leaf blower...as I always do, before putting it back in the shed. When I went to drive it back into the workshop, it wouldn't start. I horsed it into the shop, and did some basic troubleshooting. The starter solenoid wasn't "picking", so I figured it had gone bad, and ordered a new one. I got the new solenoid this past Thursday, and installed it...Same results...the engine would not turn over. So...I did some serious troubleshooting.

The engine and starter motor are ok...I pulled the plug, and ran a momentary jumper to the start motor, and it and the engine spun up properly. I checked the ignition switch and it was putting 12V to the "pick" coil on the starter solenoid, but the solenoid still wouldn't "pick". I then took the meter, and using the operator owners manual wiring diagrams, etc., I checked the interlock switches, metered for any opens or shorts in the wiring, and basically went through the entire electrical system, and found nothing. It seemed that the only thing that would operate with the ignition key was the carburetor solenoid. After a couple of hours of this routine, I put everything back together, and tried it One more time...And it fired right up. I have no idea what I did that might have fixed it. I ran it around the yard for about 15 minutes, and put it up for the day. Yesterday, and again today, I tried it, and it fired up ok, both times. I'm going to leave it sit for a few days, and try it again next week.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I might look for, beyond what I've done? Are there any better wiring diagrams available...the owners manual schematics seem to be written by someone who probably never actually saw the mower. I checked the Snapper web-site, but they have nothing for this old mower. I have saved up some money to buy a new riding mower/tractor, and if I have any more troubles with this old beast, I will probably opt for a new mower next Spring, but If I can keep this old Snapper running good, I'll save my money until I absolutely have to spend it.

Thanks, in advance.....

silver1

Threads
I have an old Snapper RER, Model 3314518BVE, that I bought in 2001. It has been quite good, with only routine maintenance, etc. A few days ago, I ran it for a couple of hours to mulch up a bunch of leaves in the yard, and when done, I cleaned it off with the leaf blower...as I always do, before putting it back in the shed. When I went to drive it back into the workshop, it wouldn't start. I horsed it into the shop, and did some basic troubleshooting. The starter solenoid wasn't "picking", so I figured it had gone bad, and ordered a new one. I got the new solenoid this past Thursday, and installed it...Same results...the engine would not turn over. So...I did some serious troubleshooting.

The engine and starter motor are ok...I pulled the plug, and ran a momentary jumper to the start motor, and it and the engine spun up properly. I checked the ignition switch and it was putting 12V to the "pick" coil on the starter solenoid, but the solenoid still wouldn't "pick". I then took the meter, and using the operator owners manual wiring diagrams, etc., I checked the interlock switches, metered for any opens or shorts in the wiring, and basically went through the entire electrical system, and found nothing. It seemed that the only thing that would operate with the ignition key was the carburetor solenoid. After a couple of hours of this routine, I put everything back together, and tried it One more time...And it fired right up. I have no idea what I did that might have fixed it. I ran it around the yard for about 15 minutes, and put it up for the day. Yesterday, and again today, I tried it, and it fired up ok, both times. I'm going to leave it sit for a few days, and try it again next week.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I might look for, beyond what I've done? Are there any better wiring diagrams available...the owners manual schematics seem to be written by someone who probably never actually saw the mower. I checked the Snapper web-site, but they have nothing for this old mower. I have saved up some money to buy a new riding mower/tractor, and if I have any more troubles with this old beast, I will probably opt for a new mower next Spring, but If I can keep this old Snapper running good, I'll save my money until I absolutely have to spend it.

Thanks, in advance.....
I would guess that it was an interlock. They can "stick" anytime.